Best GBA games????

Hi!
I picked up a new limited edition Classic GBA SP at Circuit City for only
$77 today. I couldn't resist! Now, I need some good games!
I really like action/rpg's.... I picked up the original NES Zelda for it,
but keep dying...
Can anyone recommend some good games? I also picked up the Namco Museum for
under $8, on sale. That one is OK, for a nice quick play....
My favorite games for my PS2 are: Baldur's Gate 2, Castlevania: LOI,
Gauntlet, and FFX....
Thanks!

"Dreams5" <dreams5@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
> I picked up a new limited edition Classic GBA SP at Circuit City for only
> $77 today. I couldn't resist! Now, I need some good games!
> I really like action/rpg's.... I picked up the original NES Zelda for it,
> but keep dying...
> Can anyone recommend some good games?

Here's a list of RPGs. A note before I begin; my definition of RPG is "a
game where your characters gain experience points which allow your character
to gain levels." Some people use it to mean "a game."

**CURRENT GAMES**
-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
-Breath of Fire (SNES version + extras)
-Breath of Fire II (SNES version + extras)
-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (the best Castlevanias are on GBA)
-Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (VERY good)
-Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (I'm serious, buy these)
-Cima: The Enemy
-Dokapon: Monster Hunter
-Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury (comes out later this month)
-Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku
-Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku II
-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
-Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (supposed to be terrible)
-Lufia: The Legend Returns (I like this series a lot)
-Mario Golf: Advance Tour
-Mega Man Battle Network
-Mega Man Battle Network 2
-Mega Man Battle Network 3: Blue Version
-Mega Man Battle Network 3: White Version
-Mega Man Battle Network 4: Blue Moon
-Mega Man Battle Network 4: Red Sun
-Onimusha Tactics
-Phantasy Star Collection
-Pokemon: Ruby Version
-Pokemon: Sapphire Version
-Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon (good game)
-Shining Soul (this series is a lot like Diablo/Baldur's Gate)
-Shining Soul II
-Sword of Mana
-The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
-The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

**UPCOMING GAMES**
-Final Fantasy I & II Advance (upcoming)
-Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (upcoming - looks very good)
-Mario Tennis (upcoming)
-The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (upcoming)
-Pokemon: Emerald Version (upcoming)
-Pokemon: Fire Red Version (upcoming)
-Pokemon: Leaf Green Version (upcoming)

Yes, those are all RPGs! Most of them are worth playing, too.

> I also picked up the Namco Museum for
> under $8, on sale. That one is OK, for a nice quick play....
> My favorite games for my PS2 are: Baldur's Gate 2, Castlevania: LOI,
> Gauntlet, and FFX....

Another great "quick play" game is Wario Ware. It looks crazy, but it's
surprisingly good.

It's my personal opinion that FFX is one of the greatest games of all time,
right up there with stuff like Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Soul Calibur II, and
Super Mario 64 or Sunshine; the kings of their respective genres. <NERD>I
liked it enough to buy Tidus' necklace (very cool) off of eBay.</NERD>

//mike tyndall

Mike Tyndall wrote:
> -Pokemon: Emerald Version (upcoming)

This is just in Japan, right? Or will it come here too? I imagine it's the
same as Yellow was to R/B, or Crystal to S/G?

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message
> Mike Tyndall wrote:
> > -Pokemon: Emerald Version (upcoming)
>
> This is just in Japan, right? Or will it come here too? I imagine it's the
> same as Yellow was to R/B, or Crystal to S/G?

Hmm...searching gameboy.ign.com....you're right. I could have sworn that it
had been announced for the US, but I guess not. It goes with Ruby and
Sapphire the way Yellow/Crystal went with the others. Chances are that it
will make its way over here eventually.

//mike tyndall

"Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Here's a list of RPGs. A note before I begin; my definition of RPG is "a
> game where your characters gain experience points which allow your
character
> to gain levels." Some people use it to mean "a game."

Heh ... so true. I'm basically a PC gamer, and the first console we've had
is the GameCube Santa brought my kids last Christmas. I've had a GB of one
type or other for 15 years now, with a big gap between GB and SP. So my
definition of RPG's comes from things like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale,
Planescape Torment, and the like ...

What a great list ...
> **CURRENT GAMES**
> -Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
> -Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (VERY good)
> -Shining Soul II
> -The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

These are what I have, and they are all really good - Castlevania is a
platformer rather than the isometric of the others, but all are very good
games.

> -Sword of Mana

Just bought this, hoping it is pretty good.

Mike

Mike Tyndall wrote:
> -Mario Golf: Advance Tour

Really? Didn't know you could advance your character in an RPG manor.
Might have to take a peek.

Also, does Mario & Luigi's Super Star Saga count? You can definately
gain exp. and level-up in that, and it's a great game to boot!

Vitani <inativ@tfosxft.moc> writes:

> Mike Tyndall wrote:
> > -Mario Golf: Advance Tour
> Really? Didn't know you could advance your character in an RPG
> manor. Might have to take a peek.

As you play golf you gain points that let you level up, and you can
then improve your characters' golf skills.

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

Vitani wrote:

> Also, does Mario & Luigi's Super Star Saga count? You can definately
> gain exp. and level-up in that, and it's a great game to boot!

oh nm, just read another one of your posts where you said you missed a few.

Mike Tyndall <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> had this to say:
> You're very welcome! But I missed some:

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis is another very good strategy RPG.

--
amarriner
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty"

"Aaron Marriner" <amarriner@amarriner.homelinuxYOURPANTS.net> wrote in
message news:duZZc.54071$Kt5.46141@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Mike Tyndall <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> had this to say:
> > You're very welcome! But I missed some:
>
> Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis is another very good strategy RPG.

I knew I was still missing something. Here's some more I missed:

Car Battler Joe (vehicular combat RPG)
DemiKids: Dark Version
DemiKids: Light Version
Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder
Lunar Legend
Robopon 2: Cross Version
Robopon 2: Ring Version
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
(made by Universal instead of EA like the other LOTR games)
World Reborn (Gradius-style, but you level up; not sure how it works)
Yu-Gi-Oh!: Reshef of Destruction (RPG part is somewhat limited)
Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Sacred Cards (like the above, and apparently too easy)

I think the GBA Harry Potter games might be RPGs as well, but I haven't
played them.

//mike tyndall

> > > P.S. Do you actually wear the necklace? I thought Tidus was cool!
> >
> > Yep :) It's made pretty well. <NERD>And I've got a ring with the Yevon
> > symbol on it, too!</NERD> You can probably find it on eBay by searching
> for
> > "final fantasy necklace." It's not very expensive. My brother has the
> > Griever necklace from Final Fantasy VIII.
>
> Cool!
> I can't wear most jewelry because of a nickel allergy....
> Sounds great and will probably increase in value.

I think it's made of stainless steel. Does steel have nickel in it?

//mike tyndall

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Boktai. You advance your character's
weapons and powers and have to consume things, but it's not exactly an
RPG> I think the game plays like how Zelda should have played like by
the early '90s. There's a twist; you need actual sunlight (not normal
aritifical light) to power up your weapon. You need to play outside, or
by an open window, to play the game. It's great.

Mike Tyndall <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Car Battler Joe (vehicular combat RPG)

Anyone who can comment on how good this one is? I bought
it but haven't tried it yet.

>I think the GBA Harry Potter games might be RPGs as well, but I haven't
>played them.

They'd definitely count, I'd say. My girlfriend likes Prisoner
of Azkaban, at least. You go around fighting things and getting
things and such and definitely get better at stuff as you go
up in level, though I'm not sure if you get points that you can
allocate or if it's all automatic. Everybody has a special skill
that can help out in the battles. Apparently Hermione's is
nagging the others into doing a better job with their spells,
which I have to say sounds pretty cool.

Pete

> > > Yep :) It's made pretty well. <NERD>And I've got a ring with the Yevon
> > > symbol on it, too!</NERD> You can probably find it on eBay by
searching
> > for
> > > "final fantasy necklace." It's not very expensive. My brother has the
> > > Griever necklace from Final Fantasy VIII.
> >
> > Cool!
> > I can't wear most jewelry because of a nickel allergy....
> > Sounds great and will probably increase in value.
>
> I think it's made of stainless steel. Does steel have nickel in it?

Just about ALL jewelry has nickel in it, even gold. Since gold is a soft
metal, I think they put nickel into it to harden it... Not sure, but the
only stuff I can wear has to say nickel free. Even surgical steel stuff
bothers me a LOT!
Oh well, what are you going to do????

ecniv_legin

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
For me... I would definitely choose Golden Sun 1 & 2. I don't know, I just love the story a lot and it's RPG.
Other game you should play is Lunar Legend and Sword of Mana...You will love this..
But may I suggest Harvest Moon: FoMT and MFoMT...It's just amazing...

ecniv_legin

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
For me... I would definitely choose Golden Sun 1 & 2. I don't know, I just love the story a lot and it's RPG.
Other game you should play is Lunar Legend and Sword of Mana...You will love this..
But may I suggest Harvest Moon: FoMT and MFoMT...It's just amazing...

And there's Breath of Fire..,you may not like the graphics but the storyline is just great...

I recently bouught Shining force because I heard it has a very high rating...just so you know..