Sign in with
Your question

4x ATI 5550 - 8 monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 22, 2011 10:54:36 AM

Hi there,

The problem I'm standing in front of is: how to connect 8 monitors to 1 machine.

I wonder about using 4 ATI 5550 cards on AMD790 board with 4 PCIx16 slots and connecting 2 monitors to each card. To be honest I would like to have 8 independent displays in Windows 7.

Anyone has any experience in such?

Thanks,
Radek

PS. Sorry for my English, I speak Polish natively. ;) 

More about : ati 5550 monitors

March 22, 2011 11:25:45 AM

Witam sąsiada. Jestem z Białorusi! Zdarova! :) 

Yes, you can connect all of the cards together on one motherboard and 8 monitors out of your system. Make sure you install the most up to date video driver.
March 22, 2011 11:32:58 AM

So then, I will be able to fullscreen each app on every single display?
Related resources
a b C Monitor
March 22, 2011 2:44:23 PM

Some cards support up to 4 monitors, ati eyefinity hello :s
a b C Monitor
March 22, 2011 5:29:37 PM

Yeah, what they said.

But... the question is, what are you doing on those screens? 5550's are really low end. If we're talking you're just in Windows 7, making word documents or coding or something then it's all good. But if we're talking Solid Works or something then it might be too slow.
March 22, 2011 6:58:16 PM

It would be displaying video streams from IP monitoring software (6 screens)

plus a browser window

and win7 desktop.

So all of you suggest that 4x5550 should work in one machine, yes?

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but Eyefinity emulates couple monitors as a one big desktop, right?
a b C Monitor
March 22, 2011 9:15:58 PM

You can do it but I haven't seen any thing done like that in a very long time outside gaming and even then that is very rare. Usually quad display dual gpu quadros and the occasional Matrox fits this roll but they are very expensive. You can do this however but I can't say that this is going to work without problems.
March 22, 2011 9:33:32 PM

I don't believe that card supports more than Dual-card Crossfire. I think you have to move up a few models to daisy-chain more than two cards.
March 22, 2011 9:43:41 PM

nforce4max said:
You can do it but I haven't seen any thing done like that in a very long time outside gaming and even then that is very rare. Usually quad display dual gpu quadros and the occasional Matrox fits this roll but they are very expensive. You can do this however but I can't say that this is going to work without problems.

True, I was proposed to use 2 PHY 430 NVS - but again, the question is - do I get 8 independent displays?

joshyboy82 said:
I don't believe that card supports more than Dual-card Crossfire. I think you have to move up a few models to daisy-chain more than two cards.

Do I need to Crossfire cards to use 8 independent monitors?
a b C Monitor
March 22, 2011 9:50:17 PM

No you wouldn't crossfire them for this. But I don't know how well something like this will work.
a b C Monitor
March 22, 2011 9:53:27 PM

No you don't need crossfire. People are blind and ignorant these days that multiple gpu systems got their start for just driving more than just one monitor. Back in the early 90s they began to show up in very small numbers when a gpu could only support a single monitor until the late 90s ware Matrox's MGA 450 dual head changed things. However the need for support continued to grow with even quad gpu quad monitor cards using 4x mga 200. ATI and Nvidia adopted the dual head feature in their product lines long time ago. ATI eventually took that further with eyefinity allowing support for even more monitors. Some cards can support 3 while others can support yet even more. So if you are unsure with 4x 5570 then go for one or two of the eyefinity cards.
March 22, 2011 10:42:44 PM

Going back to the original post, I'm unsure how you can have 8 independent displays from one computer. Your video card will simply link them together and expand your desktop or mirror your desktop to all displays. I think you'll need some crazy 8 computer system to have 8 independent displays. I'd say, 8 netboxes and color coded mouses to corresponding displays. I wish you luck with this, but I don't think other people were understanding what you are asking.
a b C Monitor
March 22, 2011 11:01:46 PM

Unfortunately, it seems that the 5550 doesn't support more than a single monitor. OP will have to get something a little higher end than that.

As for the displays, there's no real reason that 4 independant cards can't display 2 or 3 monitors each (assuming the cards themselves already have that ability).

I'm not sure about the extended display, or how you would specifically send an app or whatever to a specific screen, though. I've very little experience with multimonitor setups.
March 23, 2011 8:40:06 AM

I want to get something like that:

but with 8 displays.

Is that clear enough? :) 
a b C Monitor
March 23, 2011 12:35:00 PM

5550 supports up to 3 monitors and eyefinity as well
http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

so you can drive 2 monitors with ease, put 4 of them in a single rig and blam 8 screens... crossfire isn't needed at all for this (and neither is eyefinity since you wont need a 'single surface display' for this...
March 23, 2011 4:24:35 PM

So basically, without the technical aspect of having 8 separate desktops, you need a motherboard with 4 PCI 2.0 slots.

rusek; your member configuration shows only a laptop. Are you buying a new desktop, or do you have a full tower that will support an ATX motherboard, or do you already have all of this stuff and you're trying to figure out the technical aspect?
March 23, 2011 6:36:41 PM

I'm working for local ISP in Poznan, Poland. We also making CCTV installations - so that rig will be used to display IP cameras in security room.

Currently we're trying to find an answer is that configuration will work :)  so the rest of planned PC is:

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T BOX
Kingston HyperX DDR3 2X 4GB 1600MHz Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM XMP
2x WD Caviar Black 500GB WD5001AALS 32MB cache SATA-II
Tagan U33 - II SuperRock Series 780W
Spire SP6003B-CE/R Savit 6003
Samsung DVD+/-RW SH-S223C bulk black (Serial ATA)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium PL OEM 64Bit
a b C Monitor
March 23, 2011 6:51:56 PM

Good system over all so just give the cards a try and we will go from there.
!