Closed Solved

AMD Opteron 170 Socket 939 used to work, doesn't anymore

Hi all.

So I have a computer that used to have a socket 939 Opteron 170. For whatever reason, I swapped it out with an Anthlon 64 3200+

I realize now the error I made (I got a 9800GT gpu, 3200+ bottlenecks terribly) and I wanted to switch CPU's.
I have an ASUS A8N-E Mobo. I would like to use the opteron for gaming purposes and it is better that the 3200+

When I installed the opteron, the computer turned on, all fans ran, but nothing displayed.
Tried clearing CMOS, didn't help.

Can anyone help me get this processor working?
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about opteron socket work doesn anymore
  1. bump.
  2. Well I know the psu is good, I'm using the same one now. I switched back the old athlon 64.

But no I didn't use thermal paste. Do you think that is why it wouldn't start? There was paste on the heatsink and this cpu I am on now (the 3200+) works fine, again with no added thermal paste,
  3. I would investigate which BIOS versions in the MB support which CPUs, as Opterons arrived on the socket 939 scene a bit later....
  4. I am seriously uncomfortable doing a BIOS flash, I feel like I would *** it up immensely. Is there a really noob friendly guide somewhere?
  5. just for clarification: the opteron was working in that MB earlier? That implies the existing BIOS supported it, sorry...
  6. Yes, it did function before I replaced it.
  7. When you cleared the CMOS, you did unplug the PSU from the wall (or switch it off with the switch on the PSU) and remove the batterie for 5 minutes?
  8. unplugged CPU from wall and pulled the battery out. Not sure for how long, maybe not 5 minutes
  9. bumpitty bump.
  10. Best answer
    -I would run the 3200+ and make sure you have the newest bios first.

-It could be the auto cpu settings are not setting up the cpu right.

-Put the 3200+ back in, boot into the bios,
    -set the multi to 10x
    -set the voltage to 1.4volts.
    -set the ht bus to 800mhz.
    -set the memory to ddr-333 (166mhz)(if it's ddr-400 memory) or if it's ddr-333 set it to ddr-266 (133mhz)

-Then swap cpus after the 3200+ is running with those settings.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_939/A8NE/#CPUS

It looks like it supports the opteron 170 but since bios 1011.
  11. Best answer selected by fiestaforesta.
  12. need4speeds said:
    -I would run the 3200+ and make sure you have the newest bios first.

-It could be the auto cpu settings are not setting up the cpu right.

-Put the 3200+ back in, boot into the bios,
    -set the multi to 10x
    -set the voltage to 1.4volts.
    -set the ht bus to 800mhz.
    -set the memory to ddr-333 (166mhz)(if it's ddr-400 memory) or if it's ddr-333 set it to ddr-266 (133mhz)

-Then swap cpus after the 3200+ is running with those settings.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_939/A8NE/#CPUS

It looks like it supports the opteron 170 but since bios 1011.

Worked out perfectly. Thanks a ton!
  13. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers Socket Opteron