Sign in with
Your question

Twin Frozr II or Arctic cooling Accelero xtreme plus? with GTX580

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 22, 2011 12:17:43 PM

Hello again,

Which model do you recommend
MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II or Galaxy GTX 580 Arctic cooling Accelero xtreme plus?

I know all about the heat that exhausts inside the case, but since I have a HAF32 (might replace it with HAFX later) there isn't really a problem thanks to the huge side panel fan and great airflow in general.

I also might SLI it later on (MB will be most likely ASUS IV Maximus Extreme B3), I know that ACAX+ takes 3 expansion slots, but even then, SLIing on this board isn't going to be a problem.

I'm going to use it with a 1080p display (1 of the following monitors)
SAMSUNG 23" LED PX2370
ASUS VG236 3D Monitor 120Hz with Nvidia 3d vision kit

Note: These monitors are the best models available in my market, if I didn't mention a specific monitor then I can't get it.

So, which GTX580 model is better at cooling?

Thanks for your time.
a b Î Nvidia
March 22, 2011 12:59:41 PM

Sperm_Inside,

The MSI card offers a slightly better warranty (3yr vs. 2yr on parts). Galaxy seems as close to the no-brand equivalent as any. I say go with the MSI.

Why not go for the 3D kit if you can??? If you aren't going 3D go for PX2370. I have the Samsung on one of my PCs. It has a great picture.

Good luck Sperm!
March 22, 2011 2:02:59 PM

ubercake said:
Sperm_Inside,

The MSI card offers a slightly better warranty (3yr vs. 2yr on parts). Galaxy seems as close to the no-brand equivalent as any. I say go with the MSI.

Why not go for the 3D kit if you can??? If you aren't going 3D go for PX2370. I have the Samsung on one of my PCs. It has a great picture.

Good luck Sperm!

Thank you very much for your advice about the card.

Everybody said good things about the MSI model but also, but also same was said about the Galaxy card, both models gave very similar results cooling wise, give or take 2-3 degrees in favor of Galaxy, the only downside of the Galaxy card that I found is the extra expansion slot it takes, plus the incase heat exhaustion but both problems are solvable thanks to ASUS IV Maximus and my HAF32 side panel fan.

As for 3D kit, I would love to get it but the only monitor in my market that supports 3D is the ASUS VG236 3D Monitor 120Hz, which is an LCD monitor, what is your take on that monitor? Should I get an LCD monitor that supports 3D in favor of an LED monitor (SAMSUNG 23" LED PX2370) without 3D?

Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
March 22, 2011 2:19:36 PM

Personally, I'm still not convinced regarding the current 3D technology the manufacturers are pushing off on us or the related expenses.

Why is it that I could use a plain old blu-ray of 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' with paper 3D glasses and watch it with my kids 2-3 years ago no problem, but if I want 3D TV in the last couple of years, I need to get glasses that flip one eye open and the other eye closed 60 times a second (hence the need for 120Hz) costing around $150 a pair? Why can I go to the iMax and wear cheap polarity filtering glasses and experience superior 3D?

You know what I mean? I really think better 3D technology has yet to reach the mainstream market, but if your jones-ing for it now, go for it.

Otherwise, because of the reasons I've cited, I'd say go for the LED monitor without 3D.
March 22, 2011 2:44:22 PM

ubercake said:
Personally, I'm still not convinced regarding the current 3D technology the manufacturers are pushing off on us or the related expenses.

Why is it that I could use a plain old blu-ray of 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' with paper 3D glasses and watch it with my kids 2-3 years ago no problem, but if I want 3D TV in the last couple of years, I need to get glasses that flip one eye open and the other eye closed 60 times a second (hence the need for 120Hz) costing around $150 a pair? Why can I go to the iMax and wear cheap polarity filtering glasses and experience superior 3D?

You know what I mean? I really think better 3D technology has yet to reach the mainstream market, but if your jones-ing for it now, go for it.

Otherwise, because of the reasons I've cited, I'd say go for the LED monitor without 3D.

Yes I get what you mean and I agree with you, the main issue I have right now is that this upgrade is a 1 time big purchase that I will never ever do again, I want to get whatever I need that is available right now cause I won't be changing anything for a couple of years if not more.

That's the main reason why I'm having trouble in deciding between them, cause whatever I get right now is "it" for the coming years.

@PsychoSaysdie I wish, but it isn't available in my market, the status of the card arrival has been TBD for months.
a b Î Nvidia
March 22, 2011 3:03:38 PM

Sperm_Inside said:
Yes I get what you mean and I agree with you, the main issue I have right now is that this upgrade is a 1 time big purchase that I will never ever do again, I want to get whatever I need that is available right now cause I won't be changing anything for a couple of years if not more.

That's the main reason why I'm having trouble in deciding between them, cause whatever I get right now is "it" for the coming years.

@PsychoSaysdie I wish, but it isn't available in my market, the status of the card arrival has been TBD for months.

Alright then... Go with the ASUS 3D ready monitor. Worst case scenario is they improve 3D over the next few years making current 3D obsolete and you're still left with a sweet 120Hz monitor. Sounds like you're leaning this way anyhow?

The thing is, either way you go with the monitor is not a "bad" choice. You're still improving your situation. For me, at this point it's all about how much quality I can squeak out of the video in 1080p while keeping my framerates above 60. I like being able to turn up all the details, AA, AF, and tessellation and playing my favorite games without lowering any detail or compromising anything. I have been considering a 120Hz monitor lately myself, though...
March 22, 2011 3:29:39 PM

ubercake said:
Alright then... Go with the ASUS 3D ready monitor. Worst case scenario is they improve 3D over the next few years making current 3D obsolete and you're still left with a sweet 120Hz monitor. Sounds like you're leaning this way anyhow?

The thing is, either way you go with the monitor is not a "bad" choice. You're still improving your situation. For me, at this point it's all about how much quality I can squeak out of the video in 1080p while keeping my framerates above 60. I like being able to turn up all the details, AA, AF, and tessellation and playing my favorite games without lowering any detail or compromising anything. I have been considering a 120Hz monitor lately myself, though...

Yeah, I was leaning more toward the 3D but since I wasn't sure, I had to ask for advice.

I would love to play and watch everything in perfect detail as well, that's the main reason why I'm spending 2.5k+ $ on a new pc.

I have 1 more question regarding 3D, excuse me for the lack of knowledge regarding the 3D technology on PCs, does enabling the 3D features effect the game performance at all? I mean would it force me to lower settings to run smoothly in 3D? or is it a completely separate deal?
March 22, 2011 3:34:44 PM

Quote:
I'd wait a few days on the 580's as they will be getting a massive price cut with the release of the 590

I know but, Days mean weeks or months in terms of hardware here in Egypt xD..
March 22, 2011 3:56:39 PM

Quote:
Ahh that sucks :lol: 

Like for example, the i7 "2500/2600K" series, they arrived in the last shipment, they were wiped out in a few days and now the company that imports the intel products says that "intel" is now restricting the number of it's products exported to the middle east and they have no idea when they will get a new shipment of the intel "K" processors.

So I should get the rest of the new gear till the new i7 2600K arrive cause by the time they arrive I might be faced with the problem of not finding the right motherboard or other important components.
March 22, 2011 6:53:49 PM

17seconds said:
Both cards have excellent cooling. The Galaxy card has pretty serious heatsink on it. It seems to deliver very cool temperatures and runs very quietly. A couple reviews of the heatsink alone seemed to like it quite a bit, but is is quite large:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/arctic_cooling_...
http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/cooling/artic_cooling_acc...

http://www.jagatreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/galaxy-gtx-580-pcb-back.jpg

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/cooling/artic_cooling_accelero_gtx_pro//pics/acaccellero3.jpg

wow..by all means ..this is " pretty serious heatsink " :o 
a b Î Nvidia
March 22, 2011 7:02:45 PM

ortoklaz said:
wow..by all means ..this is " pretty serious heatsink " :o 

Heavy man...

Seriously though, anyone know how much that thing weighs?

The screw helps support the weight at the back, but in addition to SLI bridges, they're going to have to start bundling support beams and columns to support the front side-panel side corners of these cards if they continue to put more and more metal on them...
March 25, 2011 7:51:22 AM

Thanks guys, for some reason I didn't get an email notification about your latest replies.

No matter which I choose, what dedicated physx card would you recommend to go with it?
Most people say GT260 but sadly I can't find it in my market, the closest 1 I found is GTS450, what do you think?

I'm also having seconds thoughts now, wouldn't it be better to get 2 570 and enable physx with them instead of 1 580 with a dedicated physx card? it's almost the same cost..
March 25, 2011 2:53:04 PM

yep that's how i figured ..waiting for 570 to drop prices (my golden 570 needs some company :) 
March 25, 2011 5:12:58 PM

ubercake said:
It would be way better for you to go with 2 570s than a 580+450physx. The performance is close to two 580s in some titles at 1920x1200:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-sli-revie...

I've already read that review xD I read any reviews about anything I have in mind before asking about it :) 

But here is my own dilemma right now, if I get 2 570 and enable physx, would they perform better than a single 580 (working at it's full potential, not smothered by physx) with a dedicated physx card?
a b Î Nvidia
March 25, 2011 6:16:01 PM

If you get two 570s they'll still perform PhysX processing by balancing the load over the two cards (or you can manually set this otherwise in nvidia control panel). PhysX will be enabled by default. You won't have to do so.

I'm sure there's some performance cost with games using PhysX processing. Whether or not it's enough to make a single 580 a better performance option than two 570s, I am not sure but I doubt it.

Still a good combination would be to get the 580 and the PhysX card now and SLI with another 580 at a later date.

March 25, 2011 6:21:04 PM

I can play Mafia II with PhysX on high/Vsinc on ..steady 60FPS (all maxed out), single 570

March 25, 2011 6:22:07 PM

I see, I will try to do a little more research on that matter to make sure, thanks every1 for your advice, help and time :) 

I really appreciate it :) 
a c 412 Î Nvidia
March 25, 2011 7:19:30 PM

As a general rule of thumb, the PhysX hit is about 25%. Two GTX 570's in SLI will perform roughly about 25% better than a single GTX 580 (depends on game, system components, etc.). Therefore, it would be a wash in PhysX games. However, with the GTX 570's, you would get that level of performance in all games, rather than the 580 + PhysX card, which would only impact PhysX games. All the same, whichever combo you choose, you will get plenty of performance for all your needs.

You want a GTS 240 or above card, with the exception of the GT 430, which is not a good choice. A GTS 450 would make a great PhysX card. Be sure to look at power consumption of the PhysX card because much of the time it will be sitting idle, but still drawing power.
March 25, 2011 7:57:24 PM

Sperm_Inside said:
I see, I will try to do a little more research on that matter to make sure, thanks every1 for your advice, help and time :) 

I really appreciate it :) 

Dude, can't take you serious with that name..... seriously just can't.
March 25, 2011 8:19:49 PM

17seconds said:
As a general rule of thumb, the PhysX hit is about 25%. Two GTX 570's in SLI will perform roughly about 25% better than a single GTX 580 (depends on game, system components, etc.). Therefore, it would be a wash in PhysX games. However, with the GTX 570's, you would get that level of performance in all games, rather than the 580 + PhysX card, which would only impact PhysX games. All the same, whichever combo you choose, you will get plenty of performance for all your needs.

You want a GTS 240 or above card, with the exception of the GT 430, which is not a good choice. A GTS 450 would make a great PhysX card. Be sure to look at power consumption of the PhysX card because much of the time it will be sitting idle, but still drawing power.

Thank you very much for your input, I will take that into consideration when I order the cards.

@wiinippongamer I will give you a hint, what was Intel's old slogan :p ??

@PsychoSaysdie I understand that..
June 3, 2011 4:33:22 AM

Hey
PC PPLAY rated the MSI 580 10/10
sori dont know how to link but its a good review ;) 
June 3, 2011 4:47:25 AM

Thanks but I ended up getting 2 EVGA GTX 570 which has a regular EVGA fan, nothing fancy or special about them aside from a manufacture OC.
June 8, 2011 7:36:54 AM

sweeeeeeeet as
prepare for your socks to be blown off!
June 8, 2011 10:43:19 AM

My socks were blown off alright, performance wise, they were incredible, but 1 EVGA card was making a ticking noise since day 1, sent it to the shop a week and half ago, the other card semi-died a few days ago, sending that 1 today, so now both are basically at the shop lol..

Next thing I'm gonna do is sell my 2600k and UD7 board, when the 2 cards are fixed/replaced I will sell them too and go back to AMD.
!