Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Is PCI Express x16 Video Card compatible with all motherboards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 22, 2011 1:11:22 PM

Hello, I have a dell dimension 2350 motherboard. i need to know if the "PCI Express x16 video card" is compatible with my computer. Any advice you have and will give me will help and I thank you in advance.

March 22, 2011 1:28:39 PM

A little bit of Google searching would of landed you this user guide:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2350/k...

Next time get off your lazy arse and search and if you don't know how to search then you should not be thinking about fitting a component into your system that you know nothing about, get someone that does know and have them do it!

Also PCI is not the same as PCI Express! A quick PCI vs PCI-E would of told you that.

Another thing, that PC is OLD as in I would not bother in upgrading anything on it OLD.

Sorry to be so blunt but Toms has turned into a NOOB site for the computer illiterate.
Score
0
March 31, 2011 1:45:19 PM

accolite said:
A little bit of Google searching would of landed you this user guide:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2350/k...

Next time get off your lazy arse and search and if you don't know how to search then you should not be thinking about fitting a component into your system that you know nothing about, get someone that does know and have them do it!

Also PCI is not the same as PCI Express! A quick PCI vs PCI-E would of told you that.

Another thing, that PC is OLD as in I would not bother in upgrading anything on it OLD.

Sorry to be so blunt but Toms has turned into a NOOB site for the computer illiterate.


Maybe it has, but listen here, i'm only 17 years old. Weren't you computer illiterate at one point? I'm not acting like i know it all or something, I asked a simple question. If you can't answer something without criticizing someone then please hold you answers to yourself. Thanks
Score
0
Related resources
March 31, 2011 9:26:58 PM

If you would of read the post rules you would of read to search the forums and that you did not do.

What that should also imply is to do a search on the web as well, I don't mean to sound mean or anything but I am getting tired of seeing Toms turned into a noob site full of non enthusiast peeps that come and ask the enthusiast how to fix their dell.
Score
0
April 1, 2011 1:36:59 PM

what makes you think that i didn't search the forums? and i did search the web. so i thought i'd ask someone else.
Score
0
April 1, 2011 2:00:50 PM

Quote:
Keep criticism constructive. Attack the idea, not the person
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2011 3:05:22 PM

Please excuse accolite. That's not the response we expect new members to get when they come seeking advice and help.



Score
0
April 5, 2011 1:49:48 PM

Thank you very much, i appreciate that.
Score
0
April 6, 2011 3:27:51 PM

by the way, This is a project computer for moore norman technology center in Moore, Oklahoma. That's what i do here, I know that they're not the same thing, i just really pretty much need to figure out whether the pci express x16 video card is compatible with my motherboard
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2011 4:42:00 PM

The answer is no, page 74 of that manual shows you have 3 PCI slots and 0 PCI-E x16 slots. As accolite said they aren't the same thing, they are both physically and electrically different, you will need a PCI card, not PCI-E, AGP or anything else.
Share
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2011 4:50:59 PM

yeah really not worth any discrete gpu in that machine imo, especially for a business geez, invest in a new cheap office machine
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2011 5:00:41 PM

accolite said:
If you would of read the post rules you would of read to search the forums and that you did not do.

What that should also imply is to do a search on the web as well, I don't mean to sound mean or anything but I am getting tired of seeing Toms turned into a noob site full of non enthusiast peeps that come and ask the enthusiast how to fix their dell.



totally agreed, no advise for dell customers lol :lol: 
Score
0
April 7, 2011 3:52:11 PM

benski said:
The answer is no, page 74 of that manual shows you have 3 PCI slots and 0 PCI-E x16 slots. As accolite said they aren't the same thing, they are both physically and electrically different, you will need a PCI card, not PCI-E, AGP or anything else.


Thanks very much i appreciate your help.
Score
0
April 7, 2011 3:53:40 PM

Best answer selected by dronberger.
Score
0
April 8, 2011 1:23:48 AM

The previous responses are correct; a PCI Express card is not compatible with the 2350.

I used to own that model Dell and was able to get PCI based cards (SPARKLE SFPC84GS256U2LP GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI HDCP) to work. PCI-based video cards are now a dying breed.

Moreover, the PCI-based cards steal PCI-bus bandwidth (which is precious and easily saturated) and main memory (because the video memory is mapped into the main memory so Windows can process it). The bottom line:if you just want higher quality images for watching youtube etc, you'll be ok, but don't expect to play games.

Score
0
April 11, 2011 3:26:36 PM

well thank you very much guys. i appreciate your help
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2011 5:29:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
Related resources
!