Is PCI Express x16 Video Card compatible with all motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dronberger

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Hello, I have a dell dimension 2350 motherboard. i need to know if the "PCI Express x16 video card" is compatible with my computer. Any advice you have and will give me will help and I thank you in advance.

Solution
The answer is no, page 74 of that manual shows you have 3 PCI slots and 0 PCI-E x16 slots. As accolite said they aren't the same thing, they are both physically and electrically different, you will need a PCI card, not PCI-E, AGP or anything else.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
A little bit of Google searching would of landed you this user guide:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2350/k0511bk0.pdf

Next time get off your lazy arse and search and if you don't know how to search then you should not be thinking about fitting a component into your system that you know nothing about, get someone that does know and have them do it!

Also PCI is not the same as PCI Express! A quick PCI vs PCI-E would of told you that.

Another thing, that PC is OLD as in I would not bother in upgrading anything on it OLD.

Sorry to be so blunt but Toms has turned into a NOOB site for the computer illiterate.

Dronberger

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Maybe it has, but listen here, i'm only 17 years old. Weren't you computer illiterate at one point? I'm not acting like i know it all or something, I asked a simple question. If you can't answer something without criticizing someone then please hold you answers to yourself. Thanks

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
If you would of read the post rules you would of read to search the forums and that you did not do.

What that should also imply is to do a search on the web as well, I don't mean to sound mean or anything but I am getting tired of seeing Toms turned into a noob site full of non enthusiast peeps that come and ask the enthusiast how to fix their dell.

Dronberger

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
by the way, This is a project computer for moore norman technology center in Moore, Oklahoma. That's what i do here, I know that they're not the same thing, i just really pretty much need to figure out whether the pci express x16 video card is compatible with my motherboard

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
The answer is no, page 74 of that manual shows you have 3 PCI slots and 0 PCI-E x16 slots. As accolite said they aren't the same thing, they are both physically and electrically different, you will need a PCI card, not PCI-E, AGP or anything else.

Solution

totally agreed, no advise for dell customers lol :lol:

Dronberger

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Thanks very much i appreciate your help.

HughG

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
The previous responses are correct; a PCI Express card is not compatible with the 2350.

I used to own that model Dell and was able to get PCI based cards (SPARKLE SFPC84GS256U2LP GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI HDCP) to work. PCI-based video cards are now a dying breed.

Moreover, the PCI-based cards steal PCI-bus bandwidth (which is precious and easily saturated) and main memory (because the video memory is mapped into the main memory so Windows can process it). The bottom line:if you just want higher quality images for watching youtube etc, you'll be ok, but don't expect to play games.

Status
Not open for further replies.