Mounting MoBo help

l8oss

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
so my buddy bought a new case Thermaltake V3 chassis along with a power supply and videocard

so i offered to swap the and build the pc into the new case well now i cant get the pc to POST :( looks like i might have cooked the mobo or something

heres what i think happen

the case only came with 2 standoffs
the case also already has pre raised slots to mount your mobo

it is a micro atx mobo

I did some research and basically ppl say that i dont need the standoffs for this case that i can just mount it directly to the chassis well i did and now it wont POST it turns on everything gets power but no bios etc...

i did reset cmos but no luck

i did further research and found out that i might need the standoffs for mATX boards but they only give me two and i cant figure out how i would of mounted it with two

anyway it seems to me that the mobo is cooked i dunno what to do

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Breadboard it, ie remove the motherboard from the case and install/connect everything on an insulated surface to test the system.

I can't imagine mounting a board directly to the chassis, it's bound to short.

daship

Distinguished
Yup, bread board it. I looked at the case online and you should only need 2 standoffs as the others are pre raised . Im guessing you did't plug in the CPU power aka 4 pin or 8 pin depending on your hardware, or you didn;t ground yourself and you killed it.