Pokemon games are action rpg's????

Another newbie question, which has probably already been answered in the
list of games listed...

But, these Pokemon games I thought were kiddie stuff... Are they really good
action rpg's????

Thanks!
10 answers Last reply
More about pokemon games action

    "Dreams5" <dreams5@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Another newbie question, which has probably already been answered in the
    > list of games listed...
    >
    > But, these Pokemon games I thought were kiddie stuff... Are they really
    good
    > action rpg's????

    They're actually not action RPG's, just the usual turn-based stuff. I
    wouldn't call them kiddie stuff, as they have very solid gameplay underneath
    the "kiddie" graphics.

    If you've never played a Pokemon game before, I'd suggest picking up either
    Fire Red or Leaf Green, which come out on the 7th. They're remakes of the
    original two American Pokemon games (Red/Blue), with added features to make
    them compatible with Ruby/Sapphire. You may become addicted for a while; it
    sneaks up on you. The reasons I don't recommend Ruby/Sapphire first are
    that:

    (1)
    I haven't played them, though all the other games combined have taken
    literally more than 900 hours out of my life (for a long, long time, the
    Pokemon games were the only good RPGs on Nintendo systems). From 1997-2000,
    I spent about 600 hours catching all the Pokemon and maxing out the levels
    of 45 of them in Blue before my game erased itself. It's quite possible
    that I'm insane, or at least that's what the voices tell me.

    (2)
    After reading about them, it seems like they've piled too many frustrating
    stats and things to keep track of. Fire Red/Leaf Green won't make you do
    stuff at certain times of the day on certain days of the week, or keep your
    Eevee's "cute" and "happy" ratings up so that it evolves the right way.

    Enjoy!

    //mike tyndall

    Mike Tyndall wrote:
    > frustrating stats and things to keep track of. Fire Red/Leaf Green
    > won't make you do stuff at certain times of the day on certain days
    > of the week, or keep your Eevee's "cute" and "happy" ratings up so
    > that it evolves the right way.

    R/S doesn't have the day/night thing either.

    But to answer the original question, I remember a few years ago I knew
    absolutely nothing about what Pokemon was, so I decided to buy Crystal and
    give it a try. I became so hooked on that game I couldn't believe it. The
    big 'kiddie' image comes from the cartoon and toys and stuff like that,
    because the game is a very solid and very deep experience, with lots of
    stats and math to learn if you want to. Otherwise you can just play through
    it happily. :) But it certainly isn't a kid's game, I'd say. You should
    try either Ruby/Sapphire or Fire Red/Leaf Green. I never played Red/Blue, so
    I can't really recommend FR/LG, which are remakes of them, but I'm sure they
    are a good starting point, since that's where the franchise actually *did*
    start.

    "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message
    > Mike Tyndall wrote:
    > > frustrating stats and things to keep track of. Fire Red/Leaf Green
    > > won't make you do stuff at certain times of the day on certain days
    > > of the week, or keep your Eevee's "cute" and "happy" ratings up so
    > > that it evolves the right way.
    >
    > R/S doesn't have the day/night thing either.

    Oh. I didn't expect them to remove that, as it was a big part of
    Gold/Silver.

    > But to answer the original question, I remember a few years ago I knew
    > absolutely nothing about what Pokemon was, so I decided to buy Crystal and
    > give it a try. I became so hooked on that game I couldn't believe it. The
    > big 'kiddie' image comes from the cartoon and toys and stuff like that,
    > because the game is a very solid and very deep experience, with lots of
    > stats and math to learn if you want to. Otherwise you can just play
    through
    > it happily. :) But it certainly isn't a kid's game, I'd say. You should
    > try either Ruby/Sapphire or Fire Red/Leaf Green. I never played Red/Blue,
    so
    > I can't really recommend FR/LG, which are remakes of them, but I'm sure
    they
    > are a good starting point, since that's where the franchise actually *did*
    > start.

    Red/Blue are simpler than the sequels, but they're still fun. Fire Red/Leaf
    Green add better graphics/menus, new areas, new battles, two-on-two battles,
    and apparently another 10 hours of gameplay to the existing 30-40 (if you
    ignore the collecting part of it). Also, the Pokemon learn new attacks now,
    and it's possible to trade with Ruby/Sapphire.

    BTW, if you got into the series at Crystal, you missed out on Pokemon Snap
    for the N64. It's short, but sweet. The idea behind the game is brilliant.

    //mike tyndall

    > > Another newbie question, which has probably already been answered in the
    > > list of games listed...
    > >
    > > But, these Pokemon games I thought were kiddie stuff... Are they really
    > good
    > > action rpg's????
    >
    > They're actually not action RPG's, just the usual turn-based stuff. I
    > wouldn't call them kiddie stuff, as they have very solid gameplay
    underneath
    > the "kiddie" graphics.
    >
    > If you've never played a Pokemon game before, I'd suggest picking up
    either
    > Fire Red or Leaf Green, which come out on the 7th. They're remakes of the
    > original two American Pokemon games (Red/Blue), with added features to
    make
    > them compatible with Ruby/Sapphire. You may become addicted for a while;
    it
    > sneaks up on you. The reasons I don't recommend Ruby/Sapphire first are
    > that:
    >
    > (1)
    > I haven't played them, though all the other games combined have taken
    > literally more than 900 hours out of my life (for a long, long time, the
    > Pokemon games were the only good RPGs on Nintendo systems). From
    1997-2000,
    > I spent about 600 hours catching all the Pokemon and maxing out the levels
    > of 45 of them in Blue before my game erased itself. It's quite possible
    > that I'm insane, or at least that's what the voices tell me.
    >
    > (2)
    > After reading about them, it seems like they've piled too many frustrating
    > stats and things to keep track of. Fire Red/Leaf Green won't make you do
    > stuff at certain times of the day on certain days of the week, or keep
    your
    > Eevee's "cute" and "happy" ratings up so that it evolves the right way.

    900 hours?????? WoW! I thought I was bad with PSO, playing online with my
    DreamCast... Yikes. I was upset when I lost one of my saves, but I think I
    only had a little over 100 hours in at that time...
    I will definitely check out the reviews on these... What are the differences
    between the two? Are they totally different games?
    Thanks!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > > > Another newbie question, which has probably already been answered in
    the
    > > > list of games listed...
    > > >
    > > > But, these Pokemon games I thought were kiddie stuff... Are they
    really
    > > good
    > > > action rpg's????
    > >
    > > They're actually not action RPG's, just the usual turn-based stuff. I
    > > wouldn't call them kiddie stuff, as they have very solid gameplay
    > underneath
    > > the "kiddie" graphics.
    > >
    > > If you've never played a Pokemon game before, I'd suggest picking up
    > either
    > > Fire Red or Leaf Green, which come out on the 7th. They're remakes of
    the
    > > original two American Pokemon games (Red/Blue), with added features to
    > make
    > > them compatible with Ruby/Sapphire. You may become addicted for a
    while;
    > it
    > > sneaks up on you. The reasons I don't recommend Ruby/Sapphire first are
    > > that:
    > >
    > > (1)
    > > I haven't played them, though all the other games combined have taken
    > > literally more than 900 hours out of my life (for a long, long time, the
    > > Pokemon games were the only good RPGs on Nintendo systems). From
    > 1997-2000,
    > > I spent about 600 hours catching all the Pokemon and maxing out the
    levels
    > > of 45 of them in Blue before my game erased itself. It's quite possible
    > > that I'm insane, or at least that's what the voices tell me.
    >
    > 900 hours?????? WoW! I thought I was bad with PSO, playing online with my
    > DreamCast... Yikes. I was upset when I lost one of my saves, but I think I
    > only had a little over 100 hours in at that time...

    This is especially incredible when you consider the fact that 900 hours is
    about 38 days...

    BTW, I was addicted to PSO for a while too (on GameCube). I ended up
    spending 100 hours on it completely offline. It was fun (especially once
    you start finding those rare red items), but you can only build your levels
    for so long. Hmm...maybe I'll go back to it. For some reason it sounds fun
    right now.

    The Mechgun (and its later iterations) is by far the best weapon, by the
    way. It's long-distance and it deals out more damage than a Brand or
    anything like that.

    > I will definitely check out the reviews on these... What are the
    differences
    > between the two? Are they totally different games?
    > Thanks!

    All of the Pokemon games so far have followed the same pattern: two games,
    each with a couple of dozen monsters the other doesn't have (thus
    encouraging trading), then a third one that adds some feature the other two
    don't have. Other than that, the games in each set are pretty much the
    same.

    //mike tyndall
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Just to add my 2 cents. I'm 29. Someone told me Pokemon was the best RPG
    on the GBA. I thought that was ridiculous. Pokemon was stupid kids stuff
    (thinking of the South Park cartoon where they mock the cartoon and the
    marketing of the toys), I thought. Then I tried Pokemon Pinball, since I
    was jonesing for some pinball action. Quite fun, I thought, maybe Pokemon
    isn't so bad. I gave it a shot and I loved Ruby. It definitely is an RPG.
    The story is simple. You definitely are collecting cute little creatures,
    but other than that the underlying gameplay is a VERY high quality RPG.
    One that wouldn't even be possible, dare I say, without the Pokemon
    themselves. They're part of the strategy.

    It's very deep, very strong and very worth a look. It is the best
    *traditional* (not counting Mario and Luigi, Fire Emblem, FFTA, Tactics
    Ogre which I think are all better) RPG on the system IMHO. Better than the
    highly touted Golden Sun, which I thought was bland and boring. Pokemon is
    fun and fresh.

    Preston
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Mike Tyndall wrote:
    > BTW, if you got into the series at Crystal, you missed out on Pokemon
    > Snap for the N64. It's short, but sweet. The idea behind the game
    > is brilliant.

    I've never tried the Gamecube stuff yet, like Colisseum or any of that. It'd
    be nice if they made a real Pokemon game for the GC, like the GB games.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Preston Crawford wrote:
    > Better than the highly touted Golden Sun, which I thought was bland
    > and boring. Pokemon is fun and fresh.

    GS2 is much better, but I agree that Pokemon is one of the best RPGs of all
    time.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > GS2 is much better, but I agree that Pokemon is one of the best RPGs of
    all
    > time.

    Great, I will pick up a copy of the new one when it comes out this week!
    Thanks, everyone, for all the input!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Dreams5 wrote:
    >> GS2 is much better, but I agree that Pokemon is one of the best RPGs
    >> of all time.
    >
    > Great, I will pick up a copy of the new one when it comes out this
    > week! Thanks, everyone, for all the input!

    P.S. You might want to read a little about how the game works, *if* you are
    the type that likes to know all the details going on behind the scenes. Once
    I started finding out about stats and all that good stuff, I enjoyed Crystal
    even more than I already was. I got obsessed with it, actually, which can be
    unhealthy. :)

Console Gaming Games Gameboy Video RPG Nintendo Video Games