Intel i7 Stock cooler overheating to >90 degrees C.

oldhairyone

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I just built this new rig:

Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz
Asus p7z68
MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr III
8GB DDR3 GSkill RAM

According to RealTemp my idle temperature (at desktop) is around 45 degrees C. When playing games, in my case Far Cry 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Witcher 2 it quickly climbs to high seventies and mid eighties, sometimes in the nineties. I have re-seated the heatsink with new paste and it's on solid.

What else could be going wrong?

oldhairyone

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
No, no overclocking or anything, unless that board does it itself. I forgot to mention my case: NZXT Phantom, with the fans that come included. I'll try tidying the wires.

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
        ______
<----|-    <---|-
<----|-    <---|-
       |_____ |

I drew you a pretty picture for your air flow

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Reseat again with card method and AS5. The heat sink might now be spread it evenly and widely. I just rested mine and it drops my temp be almost 20C. I'm using stock cooler and in game I'm only touching 70's.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

If you want to be sure that your heatsink is properly in contact with your CPU, take your computer case and place it on its side. Gravity will answer that question. If temperatures drop, the means your heatsink is not properly secured and isn't coming in full contact with the CPU.

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

you're making too many assumptions such as;
a) assuming he has access to gravity

on a real note, turn your pc on sideways and push down a little bit

With the stock cooler for Intel® processors, I now will mount the processor and HSF (heatsink/fan) before I mount the board in the case. By doing this I can check that the clips are all the way through and locked in place before I put the board in the case. It does make it a little harder to mount the board in the case but that can been dealt with.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

TRENDING THREADS