Intel i7 Stock cooler overheating to >90 degrees C.

I just built this new rig:

Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz
Asus p7z68
MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr III
8GB DDR3 GSkill RAM

According to RealTemp my idle temperature (at desktop) is around 45 degrees C. When playing games, in my case Far Cry 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Witcher 2 it quickly climbs to high seventies and mid eighties, sometimes in the nineties. I have re-seated the heatsink with new paste and it's on solid.

What else could be going wrong?
11 answers Last reply
More about intel stock cooler overheating degrees
  1. does your case have adequate airflow? your cooler can just be circulating the hot air. try cleaning up wires ect...
  2. Have you overclocked or increased the voltage?
  3. More case fans!
  4. No, no overclocking or anything, unless that board does it itself. I forgot to mention my case: NZXT Phantom, with the fans that come included. I'll try tidying the wires.
  5. stock fan? what the memory speed, do you use XMP profile? because XMP automatically OC the CPU in my case 3.8ghz + stock cooler= 80c
  6.         ______
    <----|-    <---|-
    <----|-    <---|-
           |_____ |

I drew you a pretty picture for your air flow
  7. Reseat again with card method and AS5. The heat sink might now be spread it evenly and widely. I just rested mine and it drops my temp be almost 20C. I'm using stock cooler and in game I'm only touching 70's.
  8. oldhairyone said:
    I just built this new rig:

Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz
    Asus p7z68
    MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr III
    8GB DDR3 GSkill RAM

According to RealTemp my idle temperature (at desktop) is around 45 degrees C. When playing games, in my case Far Cry 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Witcher 2 it quickly climbs to high seventies and mid eighties, sometimes in the nineties. I have re-seated the heatsink with new paste and it's on solid.

What else could be going wrong?

If you want to be sure that your heatsink is properly in contact with your CPU, take your computer case and place it on its side. Gravity will answer that question. If temperatures drop, the means your heatsink is not properly secured and isn't coming in full contact with the CPU.
  9. blackhawk1928 said:
    If you want to be sure that your heatsink is properly in contact with your CPU, take your computer case and place it on its side. Gravity will answer that question. If temperatures drop, the means your heatsink is not properly secured and isn't coming in full contact with the CPU.

you're making too many assumptions such as;
    a) assuming he has access to gravity

on a real note, turn your pc on sideways and push down a little bit
  10. With the stock cooler for Intel® processors, I now will mount the processor and HSF (heatsink/fan) before I mount the board in the case. By doing this I can check that the clips are all the way through and locked in place before I put the board in the case. It does make it a little harder to mount the board in the case but that can been dealt with.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  11. Seriously, reseat with AS5, really really helps, make sure you spread on entire CPU not that copper circle
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Intel i7