Sign in with
Your question

System boots up and shuts down on its own

Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2011 3:01:39 AM

Hi all,

My first post on Tom's Hardware with a brand new system I just put together.

Its been a long while (9 years) since Ive built a PC so Im guessing a few things have changed in that time period ;)  However the issue I am having may have nothing to do with time.

After everything is in the case with power and data supplied, I turn the PSU on from the back and the system boots up on its own, without me touching the power button. After a short period (I estimate about 3-5 seconds) the system shuts down on its own. If you wait a few seconds, it powers up on its own again etc etc etc. No warning beeps, however I did not see a speaker to connect to the motherboard for system sounds.

On only one occasion has it ever made it past the loading up stage and remained powered on. I then had a different problem installing windows as I could not select the drive to install on even though it was recognised at full capacity. I have a fair idea on whats going on here (using a wireless keyboard and mouse) but I can solve this issue myself as long as I can get into the system.

I cant be sure if everything is detected as this computer boots up super quick and it does so before my monitor can even power up (is this a win or a fail?). I cannot see any more connections on the motherboard for power, although there is a 4-pin connector left over from the PSU. Has anyone come across this type of problem before?

Below are the system specs I went with:

Intel core i7 960
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
Antec 850W TruePower Quattro PLUS PSU
Gigabyte GF GTX 560 graphics card
WD 2TB 7200RPM Caviar Black
Corsair 6GB (1600MHz) PC-12800
HP LightScribe DVD-RW

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : system boots shuts

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
June 2, 2011 3:21:43 AM

The initial power up cycle is appropriate. New PCs do this after a period of no power. Power on then off again. That is because they are supposed to have power at all times. It's called +5VSB (volts stand-by) and when it goes missing the computer does the little power up when it comes back.

The second one though.... that indicates that something ain't right. And by far the most common cause of this is a power button that has been mashed down. Did you take the front off your case? When you put it back did the power button get caught?

If that's not it then something else may be shorted. Run this checklist, and do a good job of it... we all contributed to it and 9 times out of ten you problem will be one of these:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
m
l
June 2, 2011 3:45:28 AM

Thanks for your reply Proximon. Shortly after starting this thread, I actually had the same thought about the power button. Its a brand new case as well - Thermaltake Armor +. The power button doesnt depress very far and Ive noticed you only have to touch it (like a PS3 power up button) for it to register. So maybe that is stuck like its being held in?

Since starting the thread, I have also been able to get it to continue booting up a few more times. Once again though, my wireless mouse and keyboard arent being powered up by the system and I therefore cant get into the BIOS set up to boot off my DVD. I also dont have a USB keyboard lying around :( 

I will have a read through the checklist and see if I come up with anything. With this new information though, does it sound like its the power button on my case?
m
l
Related resources
June 2, 2011 4:01:44 AM

Could be a bad one, sure. The checklist will handle it though... do the checklist.
m
l
June 2, 2011 5:57:31 AM

I have not touched the checklist yet, but one thing I have confirmed from a friend who has the same case is that my button is not behaving the same way his is.

His can be depressed a small way and you can feel and hear a click. Mine is quite stiff and you can barely press it down at all (im talking less than a millimetre) and there is certainly no click. I have informed the shop I purchased it from and they will look at it but they have run out of stock of the case.

Given that new information, does it seem like the power button is at fault? I realise there is no way you could give me a definite answer, but your opinion would be valued.
m
l
June 2, 2011 6:52:44 AM

Absolutely it's the button.
m
l
!