Where to connect case fan on mobo?

loopy_ii

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I just completed my first build using the Asus P8P67 LE motherboard:

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67_LE/

The back fan on my case has a 3 pin connecter, so I connected it to the power fan connector, as that was the only fan connecter on the board with 3 pins. However, I've been wondering if it should really be connected to a chassis fan connecter, although the two on my board are both 4 pin.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Solution
I've connected all of my case fans directly to the PSU and not through the mobo. My fans all came with adapters to connect to the Molex connectors on the power supply so this was easy and reduced the wiring mess inside the case.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I've connected all of my case fans directly to the PSU and not through the mobo. My fans all came with adapters to connect to the Molex connectors on the power supply so this was easy and reduced the wiring mess inside the case.

Solution

loopy_ii

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Perhaps I should just connect directly to the PSU. I've been trying to gather information from elsewhere on the forum. It sounds like some have connected 3 pin fans to 4 pins on the mother board (leaving one pin empty).

Another one of my concerns is that the back case fan isn't always on and I'm not sure if it should be, since I'm new to building.

loopy_ii

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Ok. I just solved all my problems. My 3 pin fan does fit over the 4 pin connector (for chassis fan) on the board--with no adapter!. The tab even makes it so that the ground pin lines up in the proper spot. My fan is running now and it appears I can control the speed with ASUS Fan Xpert. Apparently, the Fan Xpert feature does not work if you use the power fan connector, so I'm really glad I changed the connection.