Upgrade graphics card?

jillfat86

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Hi-

I have a Dell Studio 1558 with 4gb of memory, and an intel core i5 @2.4 ghz. The current graphics card I am using is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. Can I upgrade to a better card??? If I can are there any recommendations for a good upgrade?

Thanks

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
It really depends on your Mobo, and PSU ofcourse.
Im not much of a computer person but from what I've researched, that's how it is.

http://www.hwcompare.com/
Thats helpful for choosing GPU's, but be sure to look around.

Also, use a program called Speccy, to find other Computer specs.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Almost all laptops that exist, with the exceptions of boutique brands, can't have the GPU exchanged. The GPU is soldered onto the board, and the cooling system is designed for that GPU. Big brand Computer companies spend a lot of money figuring out how to save money, and they know that certain computers they produce don't need upgraded Power Supplies, or cooling systems.

jillfat86

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Thank you all for your help. Using your advice I contacted Dell and they told me I would have to purchase a $400 dollar motherboard to upgrade my graphics card. Lol i guess that one is gonna have to do for a while.

jillfat86

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
The problem is i've been trying to do some gaming (call of duty and bfbc2), and the card just can't support the demanding tasks. The framerate is so low i can barely play on the lowest possible settings. I'm not exactly too worried about obtaining awesome graphics, I just want a card that make the games playable. I guess that would probably mean a better laptop.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
dude, it's a laptop that was made that way. Nothing you can do about the current laptop playing those games or not in this case. Buy a new computer and "IF" you get a desktop, you can change out parts as computer games advance. With a laptop, you are stuck with what you have. Just get it. Please get it.

TRENDING THREADS