Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Z77 sabertooth raid config

Last response: in Motherboards
May 16, 2012 1:47:47 PM

Hi Folks:

I'm new here and relatively new to building my own systems. I just put together a ASUS Sabertooth Z77 with the new Ivy Bridge i7 CPU.

I am using a GEFORCE 540 PCI Video Card and two Corsair SSD G3 Drives.

I have two problems I could really use help with.

First is the CPU Fan is working intermittently and the board reports a Fan Error. If I reboot a few times, it comes up and seems to work, but next reboot it just sits there. It looks like it's trying to go, but never quite starts spinning. I found some other folks with the issue and it may be a problem with the board.

Bigger problem, I want to configure my two SSD drives as a Mirrored Raid. The manual says that Cntrl I should get you into the Intel Raid Setup screens, but I can not get into this setup. I've tried everything. I talked to ASUS last night, but they just said "you have to be fast". I've done these setups before, and I'm being "fast", but the config screen never appears. Any advice would be helpful. When exactly in the boot process is this available?

Thanks,Lee
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2012 5:05:49 PM

JesusFreak95 said:
Hi Folks:

First is the CPU Fan is working intermittently and the board reports a Fan Error. If I reboot a few times, it comes up and seems to work, but next reboot it just sits there. It looks like it's trying to go, but never quite starts spinning. I found some other folks with the issue and it may be a problem with the board.

i would suggest getting that straightened around first. and really it smells like an RMA thing which would make your efforts at resolving the "quick" screen raid config pointless for now.

so check the bios and see what cpu fan speed settings there are.
Score
May 16, 2012 5:32:43 PM

Evertyhing is set up properly in the BIOS. The Bios show the fan speed jumping up and down. But it's not really doing anything.
Score
Related resources
May 29, 2012 10:36:24 PM

I got an RMA and a new board. Setup the new board. The CPU fan seems to be working properly on this one, but I still can not get to the RAID Setup screen in the BIOS. Has anyone actually been able to do this with this board? Do I need to use certain SATA ports on the board for this to work?
Score
May 30, 2012 3:41:56 PM

JesusFreak95 said:
I got an RMA and a new board. Setup the new board. The CPU fan seems to be working properly on this one, but I still can not get to the RAID Setup screen in the BIOS. Has anyone actually been able to do this with this board? Do I need to use certain SATA ports on the board for this to work?

Did you change in the BIOS the SATA mode from ACHI to RAID? I think you need to be in this mode before ctl I will do anything
Score
May 30, 2012 4:14:18 PM

I did previously, but did not remember to try that with the new board. I'll give it a go and report back. Thanks!
Score
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 30, 2012 6:13:18 PM

To access the Intel Rapid Storage Technology ROM Utility (Ctrl + I):
1. the SSD(s) MUST be attached to the one of these SATA ports, I recommend the (2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), brown):
Intel® Z77 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), brown
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black

2. BIOS changes:
a. press F5 to Load Optimized
b. navigate to Advanced / SATA Configuration / then change SATA Mode -> RAID Mode
c. press F10 to exit and you MUST save.

3. While booting the BIOS flash screen will show up and immediately the RAID screen -- during this time hold the 'Ctrl' button while repeatably pressing the 'I' button.

4. Once there follow the guide in your manual starting on page 4-23, select RAID 1 (mirror).

notes:
Keep in mind RAID 1 adds essentially redundancy i.e. clones two SSDs/HDDs and doesn't really add 'any' performance -- it's just in case one SSD fails you have a backup. Unlike RAID 0 that effectively doubles the R/W on an SSD (scales well on SSDs), but IF one SSD fails then you loose 100% of the data. Also in RAID 0 it doubles the capacity i.e. 128GB+128GB = 256GB.

In my case I often SSD with RAID (0) or no RAID with a single SSD (OS, Applications, Working data) and RAID 1 HDD(s) for my Data (Documents, Music, Video, etc)
Score
May 30, 2012 6:47:44 PM

Jaquith:

Thanks for your help.

I want mirroring. I'm more concerned with reliability then all out speed. Hoping the SSDs will be fast enough in their own right.

I have them plugged into the gray SATA connectors lower on the board, so that may be part of the problem. I asked ASUS support about that, but they claimed it did not make a difference. I have two very fast Raptor drives for less important stuff, which I will mirror as well. Every hard drive will fail, so I don't build any of my own systems without mirroring. For my servers I do both mirroring and striping. (RAID 10).

I won't have access to the system until tonight, but I'll report back.

Score

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 30, 2012 7:20:29 PM

JesusFreak95 said:
I have them plugged into the gray SATA connectors lower on the board, so that may be part of the problem.

That 'is' the problem; Ctrl + I (I = Intel)

Also, IF the SSD are for the OS then you MUST use the Intel SATA ports, the ASMedia are for Data only i.e. not bootable.

ASMedia® ASM1061 controller : *5
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
2 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
*5: These SATA ports are for data hard drivers only. ATAPI devices are not supported.
JesusFreak95 said:
I asked ASUS support about that, but they claimed it did not make a difference.
They are wrong. According to the specs on your ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 specs only the Intel SATA ports support any form of RAID, though you might be able to software RAID the ASMedia ports from the 'Disk Management' in Windows; not tops on my list of ways to RAID.

Intel® Z77 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), brown
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology *4

ASMedia® ASM1061 controller : *5
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
2 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red

ref - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABE...
May 30, 2012 8:34:10 PM

Well, I finally got to the RAID config screen and got it setup. Now my CPU fan is misbehaving again, same as the last board. It's an intermittent problem, I think they have something messed up with the BIOS. I'm going to try another fan after Windows is installed, do the latest BIOS update. I'll have to call ASUS again if that doesn't work. I will just connect it to a regular fan connector in the mean time. Want to get this puppy up and running.
Score
May 30, 2012 8:34:31 PM

Best answer selected by JesusFreak95.
Score
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 30, 2012 8:51:28 PM

I seriously doubt at this point it's your MOBO, it seems more like a bad fan motor that only runs @ 100%. IF you have AI Suite II installed or ANY fan software installed then uninstall that as well.

You can 'try' different settings in CPU Q-Fan Control: Disabled is 100%, and there are a ton of other settings that you can fiddle with in the meantime to 'test.'
Score
May 31, 2012 2:22:39 AM

I put another fan in and it seems to be working. So you are most likely right. I've never had a fan work intermittently like that. No biggie, as I purchased a fancy liquid cooler. Everything seems to be working well now otherwise. Thank you again for your help!
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 31, 2012 11:30:21 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!