I have 8GB of RAM but my computer says I only have 4GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kspice

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Running Windows XP - fully updated.
Just installed a new mother board ASUS P8B75, Intel Core i5-3450 CPU, 2 x 4GB of Strontium DDR3 RAM and a new HDD which I reloaded Windows XP onto.
Diagnostics now tell me I only have a bit less than 4GB of memory? Where has the other 4GB gone?
How can I get it recognised?

Solution
Windows XP is a 32 bit OS, so it has a maximum memory addressing limit of 4GB for RAM. Unless you have the 64 bit version of XP, you won't be able to use more than 4GB. Go into your system properties to check which version of XP you have, if it says nothing about 64 bit or x64, you have the 32 bit version.

If you want to use more than 4GB of RAM you need to have a 64 bit OS. So you'll either have to track down a copy of 64 bit XP, which isn't that well supported, or upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit.
Windows XP is a 32 bit OS, so it has a maximum memory addressing limit of 4GB for RAM. Unless you have the 64 bit version of XP, you won't be able to use more than 4GB. Go into your system properties to check which version of XP you have, if it says nothing about 64 bit or x64, you have the 32 bit version.

If you want to use more than 4GB of RAM you need to have a 64 bit OS. So you'll either have to track down a copy of 64 bit XP, which isn't that well supported, or upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit.

Solution

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

+1

game junky

Distinguished

Oops, you are correct - Home Basic is 8 GB, Home Premium is 16 GB, Pro/Ulti is 192GB (for 64-Bit). Good call...

Status
Not open for further replies.