Led or lcd

sandeep101

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Hello sir.help needed.i just bought lg e2040t pn led monitor.has high contrast but with little angle picture gets yellowish and has no vertical angle at all.please help me. am i cheated? 176º/160º is given by the company but feels like duped.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
All LCDs have certain angles where the colors look funky or dim, but 160° is pretty crappy, most are like 178/178 these days. I doubt it has anything to do with it having an LED backlight though, just a lower quality panel.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Always try before you buy. Even if the best price is found online, find a store nearby that carries similar models from the maker to see in person. Especially if it is something that needs to be seen to work properly. We aren't talking about RAM. No one stares at their RAM for hours, but you have to see a monitor. That is it's sole purpose.

If you are unhappy, return it.

Only VA and IPS panel monitors are 178/178. TN panel monitors typically range between 160/160 - 170/170; TN panels have the most color shifting.

jaguar nailed it. If you want acceptable viewing angles, you have to go with VA or IPS LCDs. Asus has a couple of these for decent prices if this is a huge deal. If you are interested I can give you links. But to answer your question - no, for TN panels (almost all 'consumer' grade monitors) poor viewing angle and color is the norm.

And the backlight has minimal affect. Most LED backlight (I hate how they just call them LED these days) monitors are just ring LED, which means there is a ring of white LEDs around the outer edge of the monitor. This allows them to be extremely thin, however they do not produce necessarily good color or uniformity. They do seem to use about 1/2 the power of conventional CCFL (due to them being in a ring rather than one source). A 'true' LED backlight monitor has RGB LEDs behind every pixel giving extremely good color and uniformity. However they are also extremely expensive and only for the most color sensitive applications.

sandeep101

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
thanks for ur replies.actually it was my graphics card . i hav ati hd 6850 and had to calibrate my led through ccc.before which i had very poor angle. it is good now. i think newer lcds have better angle than leds alomst 180 degrees.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I am glad you found your solution. I know this site pressures those who create a post to choose a best answer, but you worked through this one yourself so ignore that or choose your own post.

Now, for the rest of you elitist post'ers. If you are running on a $1k+ monitor, than you should help him, but looking at your systems, you are simply saying, "GET THE BEST!" while you settle for...clearly not the best. I mean, look at your "future system" EXT64: Your "future" build includes a 5850. Really? Am I reading that right?

I stand by my statement, which wasn't the most specific, but clearly the most helpful. When it comes to things you have to look at and live with, go see them in person. I couldn't have been more helpful of the problem. This whole..."buy a better monitor...loser" thing doesn't help anyone. How about you buy a book called, "Helping, even for idiots".

TRENDING THREADS