Sign in with
Your question

[SOLVED] Asus Z77 won't recognize my RAM

Last response: in Motherboards
May 16, 2012 2:50:35 PM

I just got a new Asus Z77 motherboard and Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM (2x8GB). In case it is helpful, the CPU is an Intel i5-2500K Sandy Bridge. I put everything together last night and it fails POST. The DRAM LED on the motherboard goes solid red and sometimes I get the beeps indicating that no memory was detected, but sometimes I don't. I tried reseating the RAM with no luck. I also tried the MemOK switch on the board which let me get into the BIOS setup once, but I couldn't navigate anywhere in it and I haven't been able to get back into there since. Anyone have any ideas?
May 16, 2012 2:57:23 PM

jacelevine said:
I just got a new Asus Z77 motherboard and Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM (2x8GB). In case it is helpful, the CPU is an Intel i5-2500K Sandy Bridge. I put everything together last night and it fails POST. The DRAM LED on the motherboard goes solid red and sometimes I get the beeps indicating that no memory was detected, but sometimes I don't. I tried reseating the RAM with no luck. I also tried the MemOK switch on the board which let me get into the BIOS setup once, but I couldn't navigate anywhere in it and I haven't been able to get back into there since. Anyone have any ideas?

Are you sure you have correct type of memory fitted?
m
l
Related resources
May 16, 2012 3:29:01 PM

If I remove one of the Corsair sticks, I can at least get into the BIOS, so I'm looking into that now.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 16, 2012 3:33:14 PM

you may want to try:
moving the single stick in each slot to see if any slots are bad.
switch sticks to see if one of the ram sticks is bad.

you're getting somewhere.
m
l
May 16, 2012 3:49:13 PM

Now that I am in the BIOS, I can see that it is saying my RAM is 1333MHz when it should pick up as 1600MHz. I also see that my BIOS is two versions out of date, so I'll update that and see if it helps.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 16, 2012 4:13:38 PM

Yes, Update Bios.
You might want to consider down clking your Ram to 1333 (possibly with tighter timings)
Reason: Intel's warrantee only covers up to 1333 for SB CPUs (raised to 1600 for IB). No problem UNLESS you need to RMA the CPU downstream. Intel does offer a OC warrantee - $25 for the i5-2500k.

Just info. For SB any ram over 1333, or Ram V > 1.575 is above spec and Voids the Warrantee. 1600 Ram is OC Ram for SB, For IB Ram > 1600 is considered OCed Ram.
m
l
May 16, 2012 4:30:56 PM

Thanks for that info. I can tune the RAM settings back down to what the BIOS was automatically picking up, which was 1333MHz and 9-9-9-24 timings.
m
l
May 16, 2012 4:40:58 PM

Asus' z77 boards default the RAM to 1333 I believe, so that should be no concern.

As for not recognizing both sticks, ensure you're installing them in the correct slots as per manual recommendations - A2 + B2.
m
l
May 16, 2012 6:16:49 PM

An A2 + B2 configuration will not POST. Nor will an A1 + B1 configuration. Surprisingly, having both sticks in an A1 + A2 configuration did boot up just fine.

Having the single DIMM in either A1 or A2 by itself also worked fine. I haven't checked other configurations yet.
m
l
May 16, 2012 6:28:24 PM

Here's a screenshot from the ASUS AI Suite's SPD screen. It shows both DIMMs in the drop down menu, which are currently in the A1 + A2 configuration. The settings that the AI Suite shows are identical for both DIMMs.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 16, 2012 6:32:28 PM

use a single stick in each slot, changing slots between boot ups.
if one stick works only in cetain slots then those motherboard connections are flonky.

if one stick works in ALL slots but 2 stick in single channel mode, i wonder about the memory controller on the cpu.
m
l
May 16, 2012 6:35:17 PM

That's my next step. I'll post back with the results.
m
l
May 16, 2012 7:05:07 PM

Well, huh. I put the single DIMM in every slot and it booted successfully each time. Then I put both DIMMs in B1 + B2 configuration and that booted fine. Then, just for kicks, I put them back in A2 + B2 configuration and it's fine now.

I have no idea what changed. All I can think of is that maybe I didn't have one of the DIMMs seated fully. My last motherboard had clips on both ends of the DIMM to make sure it was fully in, this one only has clips on one end, so maybe I didn't notice that the other end wasn't fully seated.

Anyway, thanks everyone!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 16, 2012 7:21:42 PM

^ happens, I had the same think happen when I went to 4 Modules, One did Not seat properly.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 16, 2012 7:30:31 PM

glad you worked it out. nice job.
m
l
!