Could use some experienced input. =]

JDHusky

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
So, I have this system I've built roughly 3 years ago:
e8400 @ 3.2Ghz (OC'd)
1Tb Seagate Barracuda
Asus nVidia GTX 275
2Gb DDR2-800 (CM2x2048-6400C5DHX) - One stick died, that's why I'm writing this thread xD
Asus-P5Q (Straight up)
Corsair VX550W

Mostly doing heavy media processing (video/audio), and some gaming.

As I said, I had one of my ram sticks go bad. I planned on upgrading to just 8Gb, but DDR2 is really damn expensive compared to the marginally faster DDR3... seems much more worthwhile to get a new motherboard with DDR3. But then, if I DO decide to go with a new DDR3 motherboard, wouldn't it also be better to upgrade my CPU along with it? I would love to shoot for an i7 930 or so, but I have to be VERY conservative, I won't shoot that far unless I really really have to. :sarcastic:

I'm caught in between, as I don't have many issues with my computer as it is besides not having enough RAM to do much in Windows 7 (x64). I normally spend my time with Cubase doing a lot of music production. But that's out the window since I was usually in a fine gap having 4Gb to work with. I also just bought the Witcher II, and my goodness are the graphics great, but considering that after a fresh boot of Windows 7, I'm left with just under a Gb to work with. And it doesn't stutter, but it's not an ideal framerate for the visual quality I'm getting. With this setup, I can still have most of the high/ultra settings enabled, + higher res textures at 30-44 fps. With Ubersampling it's like 10-14fps with no stuttering, unless of course the area is VERY populated. But after the initial loading phase, I'm noticing only 80-90% cpu utilization and a 70-80ish GPU utilisation. So I can only assume that all the streaming textures and so forth are having to be constantly processed off the harddrive given the fact that I am still left with just under a Gb to deal with.

Besides that, since gaming isn't my main concern...

The main questions are, do I just buy more DDR2? Do I buy a new LGA775, DDR3 motherboard? Or do I go with an LGA1366 as well?

Any help would be appreciated! :D

Maybe you could try getting a new motherboard and RAM but get an i3 instead of an i7. Much cheaper and i think they have hyperthreading which will help for video editing/processing. With audio software you shouldnt have to worry too much about having an awesome computer unless you use shitloads of VST's. Some form of dual core with 2-4GB of RAM is plenty for Cubase etc. A fast hard drive can be important for it too but i'm assuming you have a 7200 rpm one which is plenty.

Most RAM has a lifetime warranty you know.

If your programs will benefit from more cores, then possibly you could upgrade. Look up multi-threading and your programs.

An E8400 is still a very fast dual core, especially pushed to around 3.6Ghz, which is still a moderate OC. DDR2 800 can handle up to 3.6ghz without being overclocked also. (3.6Ghz is a 400Mhz FSB x the CPU multiplier of 9.)

I just sold my old E8400 with RAM and P5Q-E MB. I charged $175 for those three parts and that seems reasonable... So don't just shelve those parts.

TRENDING THREADS