seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Sometimes I search for a CPU on a site which sells them and the site has a list of CPUs which are compatible. Then when I check the chipset on the manufacturers site, they don't say the same thing?

Does this mean that vendors get it wrong. Should I not rely on them?

randomizer

Champion
Just because a chipset is compatible with a CPU doesn't mean the motherboard is. The microcode for that CPU must exist in the BIOS or you'll have issues booting (it may not boot at all). That said, many motherboard manufacturers don't update their CPU compatibility lists often.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Check the bios version history on their webpage. There's usually a "What's new" part there and then you can see if any additional cpu support was added for any of the bios updates.

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
So the board, and chipset; both of them need to be compatible with the processor I want. And all this needs to be checked on the manufacturers sites then. Ok thanks.

The site I was looking at was misco; that's where there were lists of processors compatible with the boards etc. And when I checked on the manufacturers site for the chipset they were wrong.

Thanks for your help, cheers.