No display on monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhaze579

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I just built a computer with a gtx 560 twin frozr 2, i5 2400 and samsung b2330 monitor, turned it on, but with no display. [strike]I know the computer is working fine, but there is just no picture on the monitor. Could this be because the cable supplied with the monitor is different than the input on the graphics card? The monitor input is white, and so is the cable, but the gpu inputs are blue. They are DVI inputs.

If so, does Best Buy have the cable required?[/strike]

SUPER EDIT: Okay, scratch the monitor and cable accusations, just plugged it into another computer and it worked fine... so what could be the problem? GPU? CPU? Mobo? I don't have onboard graphics, btw.

Solution
It looks like your board may have 8 sata ports, have you tried the lower 4(light blue)?

In the bios, make sure the mode is set to AHCI(IDE will work, but is not always a good idea).
Those extra and missing pins do not change anything, They are for different things such as analog over DVI.

That said, single link is good for screens up to 1920x1200 screen resolution.

How do you know the computer is working fine?

Did you remember to plug in the video power? without this nothing goes
Do you have a PC speaker? Without this, you can not hear if the system has an issue(no beep codes).

info about the plugs
http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Digital_Visual_Interface_DVI_Bus.html

dhaze579

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

What do you mean by video power? As in the GPU being plugged into the power supply? If so, then yes. I use the word "fine" to say every part is running perfectly, as far as my knowledge goes, which is just looking at and listening to the parts. I don't have a speaker, but I have headphones, and I can't hear anything out of those.

EDIT: Okay, scratch the monitor and cable accusations, just plugged it into another computer and it worked fine... so what could be the problem? GPU? CPU? Mobo? I don't have onboard graphics, btw.

Ok, you need to get a computer speaker. its a little speaker that plugs into the board.

The reason here is, if something is not happy(cpu/memory/ or other errors), the speaker will beep a code at you.

Even a computer that is in a state of error will spin the fans and hard drive, even then it will not boot.

You can try to remove all but one stick of memory(even remove all then reinstall just the one stick try the first and then the second memory slot from the cpu, i know on X58, the first slot can not be used alone) and unplug the hard drive and dvd drives from the board and power. See if it posts this way.

If it does, add stuff one at a time to see if the issue comes back. Add the memory(and before adding it, make sure the memory voltage is set in the bios) back last.

If you still get no posts, you can remove the board from the case to make sure there are no jumpers in places that they do not belong. running the board on the box(normally sitting on the anti static bad the board was wrapped in as well) it came in is also a good way to test.

What board do you have?

dhaze579

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

I have an ASUS P8H67-M EVO, and I'll get a speaker within a few days. I suspect it's the GPU, but I'm not sure... I hope this will be resolved soon, I'm really eager to test this build out.

EDIT: Do you know of an online store I can purchase a computer speaker at? I can't seem to find one.

Well. i got something else for you to try then :)

What about the onboard video header(that cpu has its own video card built in). Could it be default?

If it is, then you just have to connect to the onboard video and change the video order in the bios.

I have not got the exact bios(EFI BIOS :) ) location, the Asus site download system seems to not be working for me right now(so i can not check the setting location for you).

dhaze579

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

Wait, I was wrong, I have the P8P67LE, sorry. Thanks for the info though, you're definitely helping me out with this stuff. My mobo doesn't have onboard video... [strike]Do you know of where I could get a computer speaker from online?[/strike] I found one.

dhaze579

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

I just tried it, still the same. Thanks, anyway.

dhaze579

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

[strike]
Well, I booted the computer, but the speaker didn't give any beeps. Does that mean the mobo is bad?
[/strike]
And sorry I haven't replied in a while, I wasn't home.

[strike]EDIT: All I had to do to put the ram modules in different slots... I did that before with one, and it didn't work, but with two it does... weird.

Okay, now I have another problem. The optical drive and hard drive are not being detected, and I can't install windows.

I'm at a loss, and I hope it's not the mobo causing the problem, but it's probably not. Instead, it's most likely because I didn't plug something in...

I plugged them into the PSU, is that all I have to do?[/strike]

EDIT: Okay, I have the optical drive working, but the hard drive won't... No matter what I do, the installation won't recognize it. I only have the power cable and the other smaller cable plugged in, and there's an input with four pins... Do I have to do something with that? I have this hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Hard+Drives-_-SAMSUNG-_-22152185

dhaze579

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

Yeah, I think it's just because the hard drive is 3gb/s SATA, and it doesn't work with lga1155... I've tried all the ports and BIOS settings and stuff, but I'm just going to return the drive and get a 6gb/s one.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.