Reaches POST boot but restarts..

Ronnie0

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I've built a machine from scratch, it worked perfectly but last night it rebooted and now doesn't reach POST boot. It shows the first screen which is the graphic cards details and then the screen goes black and I get a very short beep. The machine then restarts and gets in a loop.

What do you think could be the issue here? It was running perfectly although it did temporarily say that the CPU is unworkable - press F1 to continue.

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Really need some specs on what you built to help you sort it out. Flying blind from your OP I would say try taking the CPU out and re-seat it, since you got some sort of error message about it, might be loose or maybe overheating, check the fan plug to make sure its plugged in correctly.........other than that no clue without the details!

Ronnie0

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Sorry, the specs are

GeForce 6800 Ultra
P4 2.8ghz
AC7-Max motherboard
Kingston memory 2g
TinyXP installation
USD wireless (Realtek)

Sometimes it does boot into Windows but crashes after an hour or so but temperatures never exceed expectations and voltage remains current - happens when left alone and not under use.

The CMOS battery may be dead or close to it as I tried taking out the battery and same issue - tried resetting CMOS using jumpers yet still the same issue..

Steve Mitchlings

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
rofl, sorry dude but that rig is a piece of ***, whoever sold you that completely ripped you off.

You should be buying a decent PC, not fixing that junker haha