$ 800 Sandy Bridge build

TheMaristBoy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Hello guys, I'm new here so I need help with this

I'm moving on from this:
-Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 GHz
-2gb Kingston RAM
-ASUS P5KPL-AM/SE (Doesn't exist in the ASUS website for some reason :( )
-Inno3d GTS 250 1gb
-Generic 600 watts

To this:
-Core i7 2600 (non-k)
-8 gb PQI RAM
-Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H
-Sparkle GTX 560 Ti 1gb (Reference model)
-FSP Epsilon 800 watt 80+

So what do you think I can improve on? I'm also planning on adding a second GTX 560 Ti after some months after I build it, so that's why I chose an 800 watt and Z68.
With just the original build of just 1 GTX 560 Ti, will it run Crysis 2 on the highest possible setting on 1440x900?
Btw I'm not that interested in overclocking CPU stuff, just GPU stuff.

I relaize you said you are not 'interested' in overclocking...

BUT...

If getting a Z68 MB, it seems strange not to opt for the 2500k; most users are able to get to 4.3 Ghz on default voltage with a few keystrokes in the BIOS (10 seconds time?), and many get to 4.6 GHz with a few voltage tweeks in the BIOS (10 more seconds of effort and selfstudy/research), although an aftermarket $30 sink/fan is recommended. (With that research, you might be able to achieve performance not released by Intel up to 12 months early...for free) I would urge you reconsider the 2500K for less cost than the 2600....; easily far more performance than the 2600 once OC'd! (Many P67/Z68 users here will happily talk you thru the few BIOS steps to adjust the multiplier, and voltage tweaks, if you desire above 4.2 Ghz or so...

The 560Ti should be plenty of card for the relatively low res listed, as Crysis 2 runs much faster than the original Crysis.

TheMaristBoy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
What I'm worried about was the intel stock cooler. Idk why but people keep putting them down. But still, Now I'm even more tempted to overclock. So what kind of overclocks are safe for my mobo of choice and the stock cooler?

Btw, I forgot to mention that I'm also opting for a 3D monitor if I can't get a second GTX 560 Ti. Or I'll just get both.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
You can safely OC the 2500K to 4.0 GHz even with the stock cooler. Just keep in mind that you have to closely monitor the CPU trmps if you are doing CPU intensive tasks (folding at home, flight simulators, large scale spreadsheet modeling, etc.)

I wouldn't do extreme OC'ing with a stock cooler, say 4.8 GHz, but the stock cooler is not totally worthless. The stock cooler isn't the best, and gets noisy with OC'ing, but it is fine for non-OC'd rigs, and even OK with mild OC's.

At stock speeds the current HSF (heatsink/fan) on the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K and the Intel Core i7-2600K works fine. Once you start to overclock we would advise that you select a good 3rd party HSF to deal with the increased cooling needs. You can hit 4GHz with a well ventilated chassis with the stock cooler but with a cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ you can hit 4.5GHz.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

TheMaristBoy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
3rd party HSF
Okay, by some bloody miracle, I wad able to stretch my budget to include a:
-i7 2600k :)
-Antec Kuhler/Cooler Master Hyper 212/Cooler Master Vortex Plus

My question now is:

Which one of those coolers are the best for overclocking the 2600k? Any socket compatibility issues on them?

dan4patriots

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
i would not go for the water cooled all in one set ups, they could leak and take your components with them, go for the Hyper 212+ (Amazon has for under $30) or if you want the best then Noctua NH D14 $80 (it is big , and cue the *thats what she said* comments)

mgf derp

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I don't know about Antec but from what I have read on the Corsair forums it is reported that if a Corsair H50 leaks and fry's anything as long as you have registered the warranty Corsair will replace everything for free. I have an H50 and personally would trust it with thousands of dollars in equipment. It's not like self contained is new tech Asetek (OEM of H50 and Kuhler) has been at it for awhile with these units. Question, do you really need a i7 2600k? An i5 2500k is more then enough for any game out, and unless your doing some heavily threaded work loads it should be more then enough for any task you can throw at it. Also like stated before a GTX 560ti is more then enough for 1440x900 if you doubt your choice look at this article:http://www.techspot.com/review/379-crysis-2-performance/

mgf derp

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

TheMaristBoy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Just a rough intro and looks to only be supported by the two media programs tested but does show promising results. And if my experience in college so far is anywhere near normal it can be a place that will only harbor and enhance your obsessions with technology especially computers so that no build/upgrade for 5yrs might not prove true.

Hmmm, more things to ponder about :pt1cable:
But that was amazing though. But if i go with a 2500k where would you suggest I invest the money that I will save from not getting the 2600k?