# yourself from the Microsoft monopoly.
3 answers Last reply
More about myst like game

    On 2004-09-05, Pete Ritter <cpritter@comcast.net> wrote:
    > GBA advice for a newbie, please.
    >
    > Is there a Myst-like game where you explore, work out puzzles and don't
    > have to kill or die?
    >
    > Thanks

    There should be, when you think about it. Wouldn't be too hard. Maybe the
    controls would be tricky. I ran Myst on a Macintosh with a 33mhz
    processor with 8mb of RAM. So I would think it could run on a GBA. Space
    may be a problem, though.

    Preston

    Preston Crawford wrote:

    > On 2004-09-05, Pete Ritter <cpritter@comcast.net> wrote:
    >> GBA advice for a newbie, please.
    >>
    >> Is there a Myst-like game where you explore, work out puzzles and don't
    >> have to kill or die?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > There should be, when you think about it. Wouldn't be too hard. Maybe the
    > controls would be tricky. I ran Myst on a Macintosh with a 33mhz
    > processor with 8mb of RAM. So I would think it could run on a GBA. Space
    > may be a problem, though.
    >
    > Preston

    I'm not asking about a port of Myst to the GBA but mainly about an
    explore-and-solve game where you don't have to worry about how many lives
    you have left but rather your progress.

    --
    # I prefer GNU/Linux to Windows because
    # I prefer self-empowerment to slavery.

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 13:17:23 GMT, Pete Ritter <cpritter@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Preston Crawford wrote:
    >
    >> On 2004-09-05, Pete Ritter <cpritter@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>> GBA advice for a newbie, please.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a Myst-like game where you explore, work out puzzles and don't
    >>> have to kill or die?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>
    >> There should be, when you think about it. Wouldn't be too hard. Maybe the
    >> controls would be tricky. I ran Myst on a Macintosh with a 33mhz
    >> processor with 8mb of RAM. So I would think it could run on a GBA. Space
    >> may be a problem, though.
    >>
    >> Preston
    >
    >I'm not asking about a port of Myst to the GBA but mainly about an
    >explore-and-solve game where you don't have to worry about how many lives
    >you have left but rather your progress.

    The closet I can think of would be "Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars"
    -- see also a recent thread about this game.

    Bear in mind though:

    (a) It's not really Myst-like as such; it's more like the Sierra adventure
    games that used to be on the PC (King's Quest etc). You have a point-and-click
    interface, pick-up and use objects, talk to other characters etc.

    (b) There is a SERIOUS (but avoidable) bug that will put the game into an
    unwinnable position. Without really giving anything away:

    DON'T GO TO SPAIN BEFORE YOU'VE BEEN TO SYRIA!

    (c) There is another situation where you can make the game unwinnable, but (I
    think) you're less likely to trigger it, so I'll ROT-13 encode it to avoid
    (slightly) spoiling things:

    Znxr fher lbh cvpx hc gur cynfgre va Ybpuznear Pnfgyr

    (c) It's been a while since I played, but I don't remember it suffering from
    "unexpected death" syndrome that some adventure games have (with the possible
    exception of (fairly) doing obviously silly things).

    So long as you avoid the two main glitches, Broken Sword is an excellent game.

    The only other "adventure game" I can think of is a GBC game called "Deja Vu"
    (it has episodes I and II on the same cartridge).

    Regards,

Console Gaming Games Video Games