Startup password

We have a laptop, a HP Omnibook 500, one of our employee does not remember
the password at startup,,,

Is it possible to find a way to re initialize the laptop so that it won't
ask for a password when you open it?

Is it a chip I should change?

There most be a way to crack or to bypass it...
8 answers Last reply
More about startup password

    Bouzzi wrote:
    > We have a laptop, a HP Omnibook 500, one of our employee does not remember
    > the password at startup,,,
    >
    > Is it possible to find a way to re initialize the laptop so that it won't
    > ask for a password when you open it?
    >
    > Is it a chip I should change?
    >
    > There most be a way to crack or to bypass it...

    Are you talking about the bios password or windows startup password?

    A7thson wrote:

    > Bouzzi wrote:
    > > We have a laptop, a HP Omnibook 500, one of our employee does not remember
    > > the password at startup,,,
    > >
    > > Is it possible to find a way to re initialize the laptop so that it won't
    > > ask for a password when you open it?
    > >
    > > Is it a chip I should change?
    > >
    > > There most be a way to crack or to bypass it...
    >
    > Are you talking about the bios password or windows startup password?

    Or a hard drive password?

    Notan

    There is a way to reset it, but it is unique by model number, you will
    either have to take it to an HP service center or find someone who knows
    what it is. Removing the battery will not reset the password, it's
    stored in flash memory that does not require battery backup.

    Bouzzi wrote:

    > We have a laptop, a HP Omnibook 500, one of our employee does not remember
    > the password at startup,,,
    >
    > Is it possible to find a way to re initialize the laptop so that it won't
    > ask for a password when you open it?
    >
    > Is it a chip I should change?
    >
    > There most be a way to crack or to bypass it...

    Sorry ... Yes it is The BIOS PAssword...

    Do you know how it can be done....?

    "A7thson" <A7thson2@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    d7mrvs$t58$1@f04n12.cac.psu.edu...
    > Bouzzi wrote:
    >> We have a laptop, a HP Omnibook 500, one of our employee does not
    >> remember the password at startup,,,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to find a way to re initialize the laptop so that it won't
    >> ask for a password when you open it?
    >>
    >> Is it a chip I should change?
    >>
    >> There most be a way to crack or to bypass it...
    >
    > Are you talking about the bios password or windows startup password?

    I mant to do it my self, I want to find the right procedure so that if it
    happens to someone else I would be able to do it again...

    At The Hp service center all seems to be a secret...

    "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    429FB3B8.9000805@neo.rr.com...
    > There is a way to reset it, but it is unique by model number, you will
    > either have to take it to an HP service center or find someone who knows
    > what it is. Removing the battery will not reset the password, it's stored
    > in flash memory that does not require battery backup.
    >

    > Bouzzi wrote:
    >
    >> We have a laptop, a HP Omnibook 500, one of our employee does not
    >> remember the password at startup,,,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to find a way to re initialize the laptop so that it won't
    >> ask for a password when you open it?
    >>
    >> Is it a chip I should change?
    >>
    >> There most be a way to crack or to bypass it...

    I suppose they can't just tell you for security reasons

    Mike

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 01:34:46 GMT, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:

    >Bouzzi wrote:
    >
    >> We have a laptop, a HP Omnibook 500, one of our employee does not remember
    >> the password at startup,,,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to find a way to re initialize the laptop so that it won't
    >> ask for a password when you open it?
    >>
    >> Is it a chip I should change?
    >>
    >> There most be a way to crack or to bypass it...
    >
    >There is a way to reset it, but it is unique by model number, you will
    >either have to take it to an HP service center or find someone who knows
    >what it is. Removing the battery will not reset the password, it's
    >stored in flash memory that does not require battery backup.

    He can phone HP service centre, provide them with proof of legal ownership,
    and they will tell him how to reset the password.
    The method they use is to get you to press a certain key combination at the
    password screen and read out the number it gives. They apply that number to
    a special program they have and tell him the password to type in.
    I have an Omnibook I can't use because of that problem.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Re: "He can phone HP service centre, provide them with proof of legal
    ownership, and they will tell him how to reset the password."

    Don't bet on it. It is, after all, a password. It's entire purpose is
    to keep people out. If the information on how to bypass it became
    public knowledge, HP might as well not even have a password, and I will
    tell you that for some govt. and corporate customers, this is a huge
    issue. Hence, HP needs to take steps to protect the means of bypassing
    the password, and the first step is to never reveal the techniques for
    bypassing it.

    Barry OGrady wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 01:34:46 GMT, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Bouzzi wrote:
    >>

    >>>We have a laptop, a HP Omnibook 500, one of our employee does not remember
    >>>the password at startup,,,
    >>>
    >>>Is it possible to find a way to re initialize the laptop so that it won't
    >>>ask for a password when you open it?
    >>>
    >>>Is it a chip I should change?
    >>>
    >>>There most be a way to crack or to bypass it...
    >>
    >>There is a way to reset it, but it is unique by model number, you will
    >>either have to take it to an HP service center or find someone who knows
    >>what it is. Removing the battery will not reset the password, it's
    >>stored in flash memory that does not require battery backup.
    >

    > He can phone HP service centre, provide them with proof of legal ownership,
    > and they will tell him how to reset the password.
    > The method they use is to get you to press a certain key combination at the
    > password screen and read out the number it gives. They apply that number to
    > a special program they have and tell him the password to type in.
    > I have an Omnibook I can't use because of that problem.
    >
    > Barry
    > =====
    > Home page
    > http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og