990FXA-GD80 vs 990FXA-GD80V2

dmittner

Honorable
May 7, 2012
So subtle a difference in the appended "V2", causing me a headache as I try to figure out which one is "current". I'd assume the V2 is the more recent model but there are zero reviews for it on NewEgg, Amazon doesn't seem to have it at all, and neither does the store locally I'd buy it at if possible.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?
It definitely seems easier to get the 990FXA-GD80 but I don't want to turn around and find out that I should have gotten the 990FXA-GD80V2 instead, and just looked a little harder for it.

Even MSI's site isn't helping me out any here...

Thanks in advance

Hits9Nine

Honorable
May 17, 2012

the v2 is the newest board, get the v2

dmittner

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Except that it barely seems to be carried anywhere and the stats on MSI's site seem to be identical.

In fact, the only difference I found between them was that, in the MSI Summary, the "v2" *doesn't*' support FX processors. I have to assume that's an error on their part, though, since it makes no sense.

Otherwise, still... can't tell the difference. Maybe a guaranteed newer BIOS version or something.

Hits9Nine

Honorable
May 17, 2012

I think the v2 will be out soon. I have the 990fxa-GD80, its GREAT, but I think I will end up getting the V2 if the V-droop issue is resolved, and they offer LLC on the cpu.

dmittner

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Yeah, it's a lot more available now. Amazon has it, too.
I actually have a v2 now since my v1 died on me and I had to RMA it. I couldn't wait for the RMA process so bought a v2, and I suspect--if MSI replaces my bad one--that they'll send back a v2.

I think it just took a pretty long time for suppliers to exhaust their v1 supply before they pushed the v2 out the doors.