laundryman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
:sarcastic: Looking to upgrade to Xfire,Have 700 wt coolermaster PRO come with my HAF 932(frome Tiger Der).Now have a 6870 Radeon(XFX) this neens 2x6 pin. I have 2 4 pin molex not being used,Can I go to 4 to 6 pin and have enough power to run a second GPU? I am looking at the Thortch Thunderbolt 800 wt with fan speed controler & volt:meeter.(179 newegg) .Any thoughts

Solution
A system with two Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards in CrossFireX mode should be using a 600 Watt or greater power supply unit with a +12 Volt current rating of 37 Amps or greater and four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Your Cooler Master 700 Watt power supply unit with at least a 50 Amp current rating on its +12 Volt rail is able to supply sufficient power with plenty in reserve for a 2-way CrossFireX system.

The only drawback being the need for two more 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. You should be able to use a couple of the 4-pin Molex x 2 to 6-pin PCI Express power adapter cables mentioned by WR2 above.
A system with two Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards in CrossFireX mode should be using a 600 Watt or greater power supply unit with a +12 Volt current rating of 37 Amps or greater and four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Your Cooler Master 700 Watt power supply unit with at least a 50 Amp current rating on its +12 Volt rail is able to supply sufficient power with plenty in reserve for a 2-way CrossFireX system.

The only drawback being the need for two more 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. You should be able to use a couple of the 4-pin Molex x 2 to 6-pin PCI Express power adapter cables mentioned by WR2 above.

Solution