When to use workstation cards vs when to use desktop cards?

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I want to build a computer for making 2-D animation and 3-D animation.
Do I need to use a workstation card or will a desktop card work?

I have a GTX 570.

I will use computer for photoshop,and other graphic programs.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
A desktop card will work, but a workstation card has drivers optimized for animation, graphics, and other programs. That means that things like rendering time will be much faster, but at a much higher cost as workstation cards costs quite a bit. It will depend on whether it's for your job or it's just a hobby.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

Not hobby, I am going to start making stuff for my own company. I am going to make my own animations, not for hobby.

Can I do well with a GTX 570 or should I get a seperate computer and buy a workstation card?

How about Photoshop and other 2-D programs? A desk top card should be fine correct/

light_97

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Workstation Graphic solutions are more expensive is due to the fact:

1) The drivers need to be specially written and tested to be working with most of the certified graphics software, therefore higher cost of development, R&D, product testing, etc. etc.

2) These cards go through more thorough tests in the factory (as compared to consumer mass produced graphic cards).

The drivers in workstation cards are very highly optimized to render accurately, while gaming card drivers are optimized to render as fast as possible. Therefore, doesn't mean that a higher end gaming card will topple a workstation one.

Yes generally 2-D based applications like Photoshop works well with any decent consumer graphic (e.g. GeForce, Radeon series) however for 3-D rendering applications like Maya and AutoCAD where real time rendering is done, a workstation card like the Nvidia Quadro will greatly excel here.

pdl_SE

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
I would recommend you ask the particular product support resources for the application you plan to use to generate the animation. They conduct tests and also would verify drivers in the event a new driver causes a problem.

I'm not a gamer, I work with a midrange 3D application and as a rule of thumb the mid level cards perform best for the price. Such as Quadro 2000 or Quadro 3000 currently out. If you need to save a few bucks then a FX1800 is a very good card.

AMD/ATI also have offerings in that midrange area.

The main difference in the past was that gaming/consumer cards were tuned for DirectX whereas workstation cards were designed/tuned for OpenGL.

realize the thread is been stagnent for 6 mo. but hope this is useful info

TRENDING THREADS