Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

My first build, how does it look?

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2011 8:55:17 PM

[Deleted]

More about : build

June 2, 2011 9:05:43 PM

Looks good. I think the mobo is a bit much. If you really need x16/x16 lanes, i would stick to a p8p67 ws revolution. Theres actually an open box right now if thats your thing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
If you really mess up when you assemble your computer, you can always exchange the parts. Its extremely rare for a manufacturer to call you out and say its your fault because they cant really prove it, and they dont want the bad blood. So all its gonna hurt is your time if you break something. If youre really worried, it means youre gonna be careful, and you shouldnt have big problems. The key is to think about how youre going to do things before you do them. Assembly in a large case like that should be relatively easy.
m
0
l
June 2, 2011 9:06:55 PM

looks very solid indeed, if you want a cheaper version of an SSD yet still better performance than a HDD, you should look into hybrid ssds.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 2, 2011 9:10:10 PM

If you're just using 1 GPU, then go for a much cheaper MB.
m
0
l
June 2, 2011 9:14:43 PM

ps3hacker12 said:
and if your looking into getting a SSD in the future a better option would be a Z68 chipset mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

(support for 3-way SLI and cheaper than the Asus maximus)


I will look into how good UD7's are and possibly change my decision.

genghiskron said:
Looks good. I think the mobo is a bit much. If you really need x16/x16 lanes, i would stick to a p8p67 ws revolution. Theres actually an open box right now if thats your thing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
If you really mess up when you assemble your computer, you can always exchange the parts. Its extremely rare for a manufacturer to call you out and say its your fault because they cant really prove it, and they dont want the bad blood. So all its gonna hurt is your time if you break something. If youre really worried, it means youre gonna be careful, and you shouldnt have big problems. The key is to think about how youre going to do things before you do them. Assembly in a large case like that should be relatively easy.


Awesome, but yeah I will look into perhaps obtaining another motherboard.

ps3hacker12 said:
looks very solid indeed, if you want a cheaper version of an SSD yet still better performance than a HDD, you should look into hybrid ssds.


I have heard very bad things about hybrid SSDs such as huge failure rates and such.. any truth to this?

quantumdawn said:
If you're just using 1 GPU, then go for a much cheaper MB.


I said I will be using two 580s in SLI in the future :) 
m
0
l
June 3, 2011 12:32:06 AM

haf x is expensive an not all that great, the "Corsair Obsidian 700D Full Tower Case" is a nice case, very sleek aswell, or if you want something cheaper i'd go for the "Cooler Master CM-690 II Advanced Dominator Case" booth have space for what you need but both are qaulity, i personally think the haf x will gather too much dust :/ 

plus you can still add a water cooling kit like in the hafx otherwise it looks kinda good, although i'd probably go with this ram "Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 1600MHz" faster than your g skill and can run in triple channel inacase your afraid of a bottle neck. also the hdd will lag the system out you'll have all that fast raw power but the hdd will respond as quick as your nan in a sprint.

maybe a solid state hdd (very expensive) with a raid setup of two ssd's, or say this 120 gb ssd with a 1 tb ( £50 or under $100) slow spinner for your mass amount of videos, pictures etc...

and you have plenty gpu power, no real need for sli tbh, it's not all that great, support is patchy sometimes and other times it's great, but if your going to spend that much on a graphics card i'd wait and get yourself a duel gpu on the same board, check out the nvidia 590gtx
m
0
l
June 3, 2011 12:57:08 AM

aaronbowers101 said:
haf x is expensive an not all that great, the "Corsair Obsidian 700D Full Tower Case" is a nice case, very sleek aswell, or if you want something cheaper i'd go for the "Cooler Master CM-690 II Advanced Dominator Case" booth have space for what you need but both are qaulity, i personally think the haf x will gather too much dust :/ 

plus you can still add a water cooling kit like in the hafx otherwise it looks kinda good, although i'd probably go with this ram "Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 1600MHz" faster than your g skill and can run in triple channel inacase your afraid of a bottle neck. also the hdd will lag the system out you'll have all that fast raw power but the hdd will respond as quick as your nan in a sprint.

maybe a solid state hdd (very expensive) with a raid setup of two ssd's, or say this 120 gb ssd with a 1 tb ( £50 or under $100) slow spinner for your mass amount of videos, pictures etc...

and you have plenty gpu power, no real need for sli tbh, it's not all that great, support is patchy sometimes and other times it's great, but if your going to spend that much on a graphics card i'd wait and get yourself a duel gpu on the same board, check out the nvidia 590gtx


I've done plenty of research on the case and if there is one part I'm really sure of in this build it's probably the HAF X, every single review I have seen for it gives it awards, 5 stars, 10/10's etc. I'm very happy with both the way it looks and (especially) the way it performs air flow wise. Heaps of space to work as well which is great :) 

As for dust, it came with dust filters and I will take very good care of it :D 

As for the RAM you suggested, P67 Motherboards do not use triple channel memory, only dual channel. I've done quite a bit of research on the RAM I selected and it is the very best RAM I can possibly buy that allows the D14 CPU cooler to fit and is 1.5v (Which is what is recommended for Sandy Bridge)

With the hard drive, it really isn't a concern because this is a computer made for gaming and the only benefit SSDs give in gaming is load times and I can deal with games loading up a minute or so longer, it's not worth spending hundreds of dollars at this point in time just to have games load faster. This computer isn't for pictures/videos/any kind of media, only for gaming and maybe a bit of video recording/messing about in photoshop rarely.

With the GPU, I think there is kind of a need for SLI just because I want this rig to be able to run games like the upcoming Battlefield 3, Metro 2033, etc on maximum settings + full forced AA through the graphics control panel + 60 FPS minimum. A single 580 still can't max Metro 2033 over 30 FPS with DoF on etc so it isn't that much overkill. I've been advised again getting a dual card GPU (especially the 590) multiple times, it was originally what I was going to go for though.

Looking at my post it seems like I have completely refused your advice so please don't take that the wrong way xD I do very much appreciate you trying to help me


m
0
l
June 3, 2011 1:51:00 PM

no apologizes i did not reference the correct main board, metro 2033? well i hope you manage to make your build economically sound as well as powerful.

tbh i don't think you needed any advice (looking back at the post carefully this time).
m
0
l