Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
  • Core
  • Gaming
Last response: in CPUs
August 28, 2011 8:50:18 PM

Here's something you don't see anymore!
I'm upgrading an old desktop that i use for gaming, and only have $30-$45 bucks for it (the rest is going for my new core i5 Christmas build.) this computer comes in real handy for LAN parties. as far as upgrading goes, should I get the Pentium d 950 (3.4 GHz, 4MB cache, 800MHz bus speed) or the Pentium 4 670 (3.8GHz core, 2 MB l2 cache, 800 MHz bus speed)? I can't support core 2 or newer, so my choices are limited. Also, I can't support the extreme edition. So which one would be better for gaming?

More about : pentium pentium

August 29, 2011 2:04:49 AM

sound like a good idea. i probably can't overclock because i am using a gx620 btx case, but i will probably get the Pentium d and try to overclock. is there a way to overclock the bus speed without overclocking the cores?
m
l
a c 163 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 29, 2011 2:12:25 AM

pentium D is a dual core P4. If the motherboard can support a pentium D it can support a core 2 duo with 800mhz FSB.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2011 2:19:22 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
pentium D is a dual core P4. If the motherboard can support a pentium D it can support a core 2 duo with 800mhz FSB.

That is not always true.

@OP what motherboard?
m
l
August 29, 2011 12:14:13 PM

Definately Pentium D is a better choise as it has 2 cores... Most games today use multicore rendering, so you'll snach a lot more framerates with Pentium D rather than hyperthreading P4...

Also don't worry about not seeing pentium 4's.. I'm still on P4 prescott 2.8ghz (:p ), only upgrade i can do is P4 3.6ghz (which wouldnt be worth it).. Also i can't overclock, even with set fsb or any other program... Gx280 ftl.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 29, 2011 3:45:30 PM

iam2thecrowe said:

Not always true; my old ASUS p5nd2-sli couldn't take a C2D, but could support the Pentium D.

The Pentium D is better, but make sure to get a good heatsink, as they get HOT.
m
l
August 29, 2011 4:22:06 PM

Yeah i got a pentium 4 and its ***... dont get one, go with a pentium D but make sure its atleast dual core. Overclock if your temperatures are stable and you have a decent psu and cooler. You can usually do it through the bios but sometimes you can download programs and overclock that way, but most people say its better to overlock via bios because its easier to change all the voltages.
m
l
a c 193 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 29, 2011 5:18:50 PM

The Intel® Pentium® D is a dual version of the Intel Pentium 4. If you must have more processing power now and your board won't support the Intel Core™ 2 Duo processors then go with the Pentium D as long as you can get it cheap. Make sure you case has good fans and the HSF (heatsink/fan) mounted well. As the Intel Pentium D's are hot cpus.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
August 30, 2011 3:00:40 AM

yeah, my first P4 was a Celeron 2.7 Ghz, then I got a free upgrade to a Pentium D820 2.8Ghz that I overclocked to 3.2 for about 4 years till I fried one of the cores from overheating. I got another Pentium D CPU for free, can't remember which and bought an OCZ Vendetta II fan, wow did that help, it still running now, been about 18 months, not OC'd though.
m
l
September 2, 2011 1:13:55 AM

BadTrip said:
That is not always true.

@OP what motherboard?

the mobo is a gx620 desktop, not mini tower, planning to upgrade motherboard to a optiplex 755
m
l