Bios Won't detect all hard drives

sahil

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
hello

I just replaced my motherboard and memory today.

Motherboard: Asus M4A89GTD Pro
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB

I have two SATA hard drives installed in my computer one is a Western Digital 80GB and the other is a Samsung 1TB. When I had the previous motherboard, Samsung 1TB was the main drive I was using till this morning, and it never detected the Western Digital. I switched motherboards today and after plugging everything in, It detects the WD but not the samsung.

I tried uplugging the WD and plugging only the samsung and my SATA DVD drive. It doesnt detect it, and only detects the DVD drive

I tried using different sata cables, using the same sata controller that the WD was using, still nothing. I tried setting it to raid but that didnt help and caused even more problems so i set it back to IDE.

When set in IDE it detects WD and my ASUS DVD drive but not my Samsung. when set in AHCI it doesnt detect anything.

I really need the samsung hdd cause I have a lot of stuff on it.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
If his BIOS doesn't detect it, I don't think it will be intialized to be detectable by Windows.

Sahil, go into BIOS under STORAGE CONFIGURATION and make sure the speed that is set matches your drives. I say this because I think your board supports SATA III (6Gbs). I'm not sure if either of those drives do. I don't know if you can set the speed per SATA port or just for the whole controller. Check that and let me know. I could be just way off but it seems to have caused other people the same kind of issues as you with your same board. Hopefully it's that simple, Good Luck!

TRENDING THREADS