CPU heatsink cooler backplate touches mobo socket screw

NewBuildPleaseHelpYall

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Hello,

Disclaimer: First build, so I'm dumb and nervous.

I'm working on my first build and I noticed after installing an after market heatsink that the screw which holds the cpu load plate down in the front of the socket is sticking out the back of the mobo slightly and touching the metal heatsink backplate.

There's a notch on the backplate to accommodate the screw tip but I didn't notice it and install the plate upside down.

The heatsink is seated fine since the backplate has a foam spacer.

And thinking about it a bit it seems like the metal of the load plate/socket touches the metal of the cpu which touches the metal of the heatsink, so in theory at least I don't believe it would be a shorting issue or something like it. But, it's a brand new mobo AND cpu, and it's my first build so I'm very nervous and don't want to do anything Real Dumb.

Do I leave it as is as since there's no danger of shorting when heatsink touches the socket metal?

Or, do I pull the heatsink and rotate the backplate so it doesn't touch the screw tip?

If the later, do I need to clean the thermal compound? It's only been on there an hour or two, and the machine hasn't been turned on so it should be same as if I cleaned it all off and reapplied new compound right?

dan4patriots

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
well you said the backplate is upside down, just make sure to follow the instructions and place the backplate in the correct orientation since when you go to install the heatsink it wont work because the hole wont line up

as long as it has some protective material like a film or foam dont worry about installing the backplate

NewBuildPleaseHelpYall

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

OK, but I installed the heatsink so therefore the holes did line up right?

As you said, there is probably no electrical issue. I just worry about the heatsink making an EVEN contact with the CPU... an uneven contact could result in damage (to the CPU case) or poor cooling. If you think that's not an issue then it's fine.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
If anything, the motherboard will just be grounded to the case and no power will get to your board. It won't damage anything, it just won't turn on. Regardless though, you'll always be thinking about how you installed it upside-down and that the screw is touching and if you ever have any issues, this will be the first thing that comes to your mind.

My recommendation is to just reinstall the heatsink properly solely for the peace of mind. Trust me, it'll drive you bat-sh*t crazy just thinking about it anytime you have an issue. I've been there and done that. Reinstall the heatsink and you shouldn't need to reapply the thermal paste. Just wipe off any excess paste that gets on the edges of your cpu before you reinstall and you'll be ok. You can even give the heatsink a little twist when you put it back on the cpu just to make sure you spread the thermal paste a little even across the CPU.