Freezing in every game when crossfire-x is active.

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Solution
yeah unfortunatley some companies have better customer service then others that is why many prefer evga and xfx for example, it might be time to look for a new card in which case I would shoot for a 6950/70 or gtx 570

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

Lol thank you amazingly enough the current driver finally fixed my crossfire problem :) thank you very much :)

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

Sadly i spoke too soon, the problem has restarted. The only positive thing is it does not freeze in every game, and i tested the GPU with ATI tool cube thing it got my GPU to 68 c and no errors for 1h... but in games my gpu doesnt go over 50 c ....

So it should not be a over heating problem, could it be drivers ? how bad are ati crossfirex drivers ??? because for me it never worked it, especially in games like MW2 and SC2 i just get BSOD and the fault always lies with ati drivers.

I woudl actually say you might have a dying gpu that only one of the cores works on, your psu should be fine, can you try a different graphics card in your rig and see what happens? in the end you can pick up a gtx 460 or 6850 something along those lines and it will blow your current gpu out of the water...

the 6790 is a new chip that is becoming pretty attractive and offers a good price/performance imo, I'd check that out

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

Problem is i am thinking of building a completely new pc, so it would not be worth it to do that from now.

leon2006

Distinguished
Calculate your load
http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Try a new PSU at least 850W see if it helps. Crossfire when enabled increase PSU load considerably with 2 GPUS supporting the task (Game).

You can purchase a bigger PSU, try it. You can always return it to the store if it does not address your problem. Computer stores normally allow 30 days to return so you won't lose your money.

I started w/ 850 Watts on my CF 4890. Older gpus are not as power efficient than the new ones.

Your GPU's is fine. Your PSU may be short by a bir or close to max.

Calculate your load

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

I just did 620 in crossfire, i have 750 ... :/ I think my card has been screwed up from the start...

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

Sadly it was the day i bought it, compared to today i can buy a GTX 580 for that price.

I bought it September 2008 so i do not think it is still covered.

well beforfe jumping to conclusions what is the manufacturer of your gpu? many companys carry a 3 year warranty... maybe they can hook you up with a 6970, but I doubt they would and no one makes the 4870x2 so it would still be a crapshoot but worth investigating.... what is the manufacturer of you gpu

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

Gecube

^ dude I'm not gonna hold your hand through the whole process I don't know anything about this company so you can search the webpage for contact info or warranty info just like I can, I dunno... I already told you what you need to do above plus you will have to tell the manufacturer the serial number off of your card so they can determine if it is under warranty so this is clearly a matter that you need to handle, sorry bud

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

lol, i already am in the middle of a mail to them and already tried to call them, do not worry, was not trying to ask you to hold my hand, was just showing you the website so that you get to know the.

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

sigh... not going so well, 1st the inquiry mail doesnt work on there website it gets stuck when you submit it, and the phone number well it just disconnects at some point.