Fitzwilliam

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hi, all,

Tried the search, but I couldn't find precisely this problem, so here we go. I'm upgrading my system with a new motherboard and a i5-2500k, as well as adding a second boot SSD for Arch Linux. I have two questions:

1) I would prefer to copy my Win7 install to the new SSD (Crucial M4) from the old one (Crucial M300), because it's faster and I'm in Windows more often. Will Clonezilla or some other utility be able to accomplish this? I have a 1TB drive to hold the image for the transfer.

2) Will the change in mobo do anything weird to my Windows install?

Thanks.

Solution
"grab another copy from my college."

That doesn't sound legal. Unless you have a legal way of getting Windows you should spend the $100 and buy a copy online (i.e. NCIX) of Windows 7 Premium x64.

Some tips:
1) take your time and copy all your data, passwords, e-mail, internet favorites to a backup disk/drive
2) make sure to flash the new SSD to the latest firmware
3) unhook all drives except the one to install Windows to
4) Install Windows
5) Install the main chipset driver for the motherboard first (get from the website)
6) Install the rest of the motherboard drivers
7) Flash the new BIOS for the motherboard
8) Install graphics card drivers and any remaining drivers
9) Microsoft Updates
10) Install programs (it's good to make a list...

striker410

Distinguished
If you are changing mobo, you will need to do a clean install. I assume you have windows 7 OEM, meaning you will need to buy another copy to use on the new motherboard. The OEM version ties to the motherboard, meaning the mobo is the only part you cannot change.
If you have the retail version, still do a clean install+format, but call up microsoft for a new code.

A clean install and format is important so you can start with a fresh slate, and not have any potentially harmful driver issues.
I can't really help you with the SSD cloning, never done it myself.

Fitzwilliam

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Thanks for the info; I was expecting something like that. I should be able just to grab another copy from my college.

"grab another copy from my college."

That doesn't sound legal. Unless you have a legal way of getting Windows you should spend the $100 and buy a copy online (i.e. NCIX) of Windows 7 Premium x64.

Some tips:
1) take your time and copy all your data, passwords, e-mail, internet favorites to a backup disk/drive
2) make sure to flash the new SSD to the latest firmware
3) unhook all drives except the one to install Windows to
4) Install Windows
5) Install the main chipset driver for the motherboard first (get from the website)
6) Install the rest of the motherboard drivers
7) Flash the new BIOS for the motherboard
8) Install graphics card drivers and any remaining drivers
9) Microsoft Updates
10) Install programs (it's good to make a list of your installed programs before reinstalling Windows)
11) IMPORT all data, favorites, e-mail etc
12) Hook up remaining drives
13) Create a BACKUP (if you have a Western Digital drive, even a USB version, you can use the free Acronis True Image program)
14) *Periodically make new Images of your Windows drive. I also use the free version of Synchbackse to copy critical folders on a daily basis to a secondary drive.

Linux:
I'm sure you know how to add Linux and create the dual-boot. I love the WUBI option for Ubuntu which allows it to be installed and removed just like a program.

Solution
Activation:
If you have a legal copy, make sure to Activate BEFORE making a backup. When you restore an Activate backup it won't ask to re-activate. OEM versions of Windows only have a limited number of re-Activations so don't make unActivated backups.

striker410

Distinguished

^ not true. I know for a fact that you can acquire a copy of win7 from your college for greatly reduced prices, or maybe even for free if you are lucky. Many companies (microsoft included) sell their products at a discounted rate to students with a .edu address.

Fitzwilliam

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

It's legal. My college is part of MSDN, and I'm in the CS department. I can get Windows 7, Server, *, as much as I need it.

Thanks a bunch for your tips, and for the step-by-step method. It really helps. Best answer.