Sign in with
Your question

One Graphics Card - Three Displays?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2011 3:54:06 AM

I have a graphics card that has two DVI outputs and one HDMI output. I have two monitors and one high-def TV with an HDMI input. I've had no problems using two monitors on the DVI ports, or one monitor and the TV on the HDMI port. However, I can't seem to get it to work with all three even though there are three ports on the back of the card (which is a GTS 250 by the way). Which leads me to my questions:

1) Is this even possible or is it standard to only be able to use two connections at a time?
2) Do I just have to buy another graphics card?
3) If I have to buy another graphics card, does it have to be the same model & brand?
4) Is there an adapter that would allow me to have a primary monitor that's active all the time and be able to switch my secondary monitor between that and my TV? I want to use my TV as a monitor for when I want to watch a video on it

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and answers to my questions would be even better.

More about : graphics card displays

March 23, 2011 9:36:26 AM

i have the same problem ive bought dvi-d splitters and to no avail.we shall find out together eh?lol im wondering if ill need a booster for some reason...or a second card.
m
l
a c 86 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 23, 2011 12:09:40 PM

nvidias can only drive two displays at once, so basically you'll need two cards. Splitters only clone the image into two. (Matrox used to make a product called dualhead-2-go or smthng like that that could do what you need, not sure if they are available anymore)

The second card doesn't have to be identical, since you wont be using it in sli mode. (sli needs identical cards spec wise, though brand doesn't matter). Though it has to be nvidia as well, since nvidias driver doesn't like amd's anymore...

There might be hdmi switches like that, though I haven't used one, can't say for sure...
m
l
Related resources
a c 86 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 23, 2011 12:23:35 PM

mmm do you need to use them all at the same time? I was thinking that you could use a DVI-splitter and dvi/hdmi adapter (for the tv) to clone the image for the secondary monitor and the TV.. They would need to have same resolution and no under/overscan problems on the TV to work properly... Though the needed parts are quite cheap so it wouldn't break the bank to try...
m
l
March 24, 2011 1:39:39 PM

I think I figured out a solution to my own problem. The solution cost me about $5. I'm able to get this setup working since the back of my TV has a VGA input. In other words, I don't even use HDMI at all.

The first item I bought was a VGA switch:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2606...

This allows me to switch between the TV and secondary monitor at the touch of a button while keeping my primary monitor active at all times.

I also had to purchase a DVI to VGA adapter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DVI-D-VGA-Cable-Converter-Adapter-H...

This allows me to connect a VGA cable from the splitter to the back of my computer which needs a DVI connection.

I haven't received the parts yet since they're shipping from China but I have a feeling it will work. I'll respond back to this thread with the results if I can remember.
m
l
!