Gigabyte mobo is it dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hi,

While playing Diablo3 my rig went BSOD. I noted that my HD active light on my case was lit and did not go off, my monitor indicated it was not receiving video yet all fans were working to include the CPU & VC. This happens each time I boot.

I unpluged the HD but the HD lite remained on, I tried an old HD with IDE connections, It did not boot either and the HD case light remained on.

I'm at a point of not knowing what to do next...please any help will be greatly appreciated.

Quote :

My 3 year old Build:

CASE: Antec 900

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor - [running 4 cores OC'd 3.3 ghz]

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail Support AM3 Socket Phenom II DDR3 CPU Only

Mem: OCZ OCZ3P13334GK 4gb kit (2gb x 2) 1333mhz 7-7-7-20 240-pin ddr3 dimm w/heat spreader

VC: EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1461-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI [installed 2 weeks ago]

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" - OEM

DVDROM: Sony Optiarc Black 24X 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM

NIC Card: D-Link DGE-530T 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Gigabit Desktop Adapter 1 x RJ45

Router: D-Link DIR-655 802.11b/g/n Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Broadband Router up to 300Mbps/ USB port x1/ Intelligent QoS Technology for Gaming

MONITOR: Samsung 22" w/TV tuner

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hi,

I did the csmo reset, no change, that HD activity light still on. Maybe a new CSMO battery even tho it's only 3 years old?

I tried my old VC still BSOD, I even tried my old LCD Monitor still BSOD.

When I removed the HD, that HD activity light remained on, I think the MoBo is sayng it is dead.

More suggestions please!

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Hi,

Good point it's not BSOD since I'm not getting any display.

It's a new VC, so I reinstalled the old VC & still no display. I connected my old LCD monitor, still no display. It appears to be booting the fans are all working. my DVD Rom opens & closes, I'm not getting any beep codes. What else could I test?

At the time my screen went black the computer case HD activity light came on and stayed on, it never goes off unless I unplug it from the Mobo. When I lost the display the monitor light started blinking indicating that the monitor was not receiving any video signal from the computer.

I now have my sister's desktop Computer to use till mine is up & running. I have only 1 month left before my Mobo Warranty expires.

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Check your vc in another slot make you sure your putting monitor vga plug into vc not in mobo if everything perfect try to boot by one ram if you have hdd doubt check it to your sister comp if she agreed if nothing try boot by
CPU + MOBO + VC + 1 STICK + PSU [ Dont connect other components ]

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Hi,

I will try each of your surggestions, are you saying to unplug the Hard drive & DVDRom as well?

I had this happen several times before that I lost my display, by pressing the Reset button it would reset and boot. Now the Reset button does not work and the Power-on button does not work for shutting down the comp when held in. Btw I did all my troubleshooting with only the monitor attached.

If the Mobo is good and it is a display problem should I at least get the splash screen for the BIOS?

I did a reset the CMOS by connecting the 2 pins, I will buy a new battery this morning, I live in Arizona it's only 6:30am here.

The fact that the HD activity light stays on still bothers me...

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Hi,

HD & DVD unpluged. I also removed my Sound & Nic cards. Only the VC is on the Mobo.

I switched PCI slots for my VC...still no display.

I switched my DVI connection on the VC, with No DVI cable attached to the VC I got this message on my monitor screen ...Check signal cable.

I removed the Memory sticks I have 2x2gbs, 1 at a time & I even changed the slot 1 would sit in to an unused slot...nothing still no display.

I pulled the CMOS battery I will buy a new one, I will advise when this is done...again thank you for all your help.

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Hi,

Installed a new CMOS battery, no display.

Tried HDMI it did not work, I got this message on my monitor screen...Check signal cable. Plugged in the DVI cable an the message went away. note: I had to use 2 HDMI cables to connect to the VC, a mini connected to a regular HDMI cable.

Keep in mind I tried with my old VC that replace the current one and still no display.

hmmm, RMA for repair time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.