Sep 21, 2008
Hello,

Currently, I have the following setup:

-Mobo: GA41M-ES2L
-CPU: Core2duo E7400 2.8
-RAM: single 2GB 800
-GPU:Nvidia 9400GT
-PSU:Gigabyte suberp 550W

I would like to change the mobo to have more RAM.The issue I am having is that I am installing a PCIE x1 DVB-S2 card and it is preventing me from installing another 2GB RAM because boths slots are very close. But I wonder should I also change the CPU? With this CPU mentioned above, how much RAM can I put into my system or does this only depend on motherboard type? And please help me which motherboard should I buy and Which type of RAM. Is DDR3 ok? And If I should change the CPU, please advice me on a good CPU to go with?

Thanks and best regards,
Sami

(your MB only supports DDR2, by the way, and per Gigabyte, is limited to a pair of $ GB modules, 8 GB total)

If forced to buy a new MB, and pondering a new CPU, I doubt I'd choose a 775 based board, instead opting for the very popular socket 1155 SandyBridge with DDR3 based build....

Essentially, you might be looking at a complete rebuild....

How much RAM you can use depends upon the motherboard.

What kind of RAM also depends upon the motherboard.

For all practical purposes, The Core2 LGA775 platform is dead. Unless you get lucky and find a new or used P35 or P45 motherboard using DDR2 RAM at a good price, you are better off upgrading to an inexpensive i3 or i5 system.

What few LGA775 motherboards that are now available use DDR3 RAM. So if you are going to buy a new motherboard and new RAM, you may as well buy a new late model CPU also.

sami8519

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
Thanks guys for your help.

I decided that I will go with a new CPU as well. Is the intel i5 a good CPU? Please name me a good motherboard(preferably a gigabyte one with good price) and an 8GB RAM model to go with this CPU.
Thanks guys.