Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

All new AMD build, freezing up randomly.

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 3, 2011 10:39:21 AM

Hello,

I just built up a new system for a buddy of mine. It's an Athlon II X4 640, running on ASUS M4A87T, XFX HD 6850, G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws , OEM WD Caviral Blue Sata2 1TB drive and an official Windows 7.

We experienced problems with the ram because it wasn't clear how to install it. figured out it work only on the B1 B2 channel.
Then after some updates from Microsoft it seemed to be unstable just doing regular tasks.

What should we be looking at? Formating and avoiding one of the recommended updates?

Thank you for your time

a b B Homebuilt system
June 3, 2011 2:27:11 PM

try running in same color slots. voltage correct. you said updates from microsoft. look in the control panel add/remove. see if there is an AMD processor driver that was downloaded. if so, delete it and reboot. i had troubles with that not long ago. run the memory in ganged mode. it defaults to unganged. ( non-dual channel. )
m
0
l
June 3, 2011 2:31:07 PM

You shouldn't ever have to avoid any Microsoft updates for Windows, except maybe Windows Live Essentials but that's only because I think it's a package of useless programs. Since you are this early in the stage, I would just try a reformat/reinstall of Windows and all the updates.

When you get Windows reinstalled, you should go install Microsoft Security Essentials first and foremost just to make sure your exposure to viral infection is minimal. It's been a long while since I've known Windows to get infected just straight from the internet just by being connected and without user intervention but it's always possible. And in my experience so far removing viri from countless customer computers, Microsoft Security Essentials is very good and not a resource hog.

I'd reinstall Windows 7, install your ethernet drivers if needed and then install Microsoft Security Essentials, then install the rest of all your drivers, then install Service Pack 1, and then the rest of the updates available. If you still run into the same issues, then we're probably looking at a driver conflict or hardware issue I'd say.

Make sure you've connected the main and secondary power connections to your motherboard and the 6-pin pci-e power connector to your video card. Make sure your RAM is running in dual-channel mode. Oh, when you boot into BIOS the next time, make sure your motherboard recognizes your CPU and RAM correctly. If not, check to see if there's a BIOS update or some changes you need to make. It should always recognize your CPU correctly if the BIOS supports it. However, sometimes I've had to change the frequencies and/or timings of my RAM, but that's no big deal.

I could also ask what power supply is in the machine just to make sure it's not a simple insufficient power problem. Well I just typed out more than I thought I was going to but hopefully some of it's helpful lol. Let me know anything else you discover and I'll try to help as much as I can.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 3, 2011 2:34:40 PM

swifty_morgan said:
try running in same color slots. voltage correct. you said updates from microsoft. look in the control panel add/remove. see if there is an AMD processor driver that was downloaded. if so, delete it and reboot. i had troubles with that not long ago. run the memory in ganged mode. it defaults to unganged. ( non-dual channel. )



I didn't think about the AMD processor driver that used to be available via Microsoft Updates. I haven't seen that in forever. You really saw that again not long ago in Windows 7? And swifty brings up another good point, voltage was another thing my board's BIOS didn't recognize correclty about my RAM. I would check the things swifty said here first before you try all that sh*t I posted. It could save you alot of time lol.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 3, 2011 7:24:03 PM

arson94 said:
I didn't think about the AMD processor driver that used to be available via Microsoft Updates. I haven't seen that in forever. You really saw that again not long ago in Windows 7? And swifty brings up another good point, voltage was another thing my board's BIOS didn't recognize correclty about my RAM. I would check the things swifty said here first before you try all that sh*t I posted. It could save you alot of time lol.



Yes, right you are. Sorry to confuse anybody. This was in fact an XP-64bit machine and "that" driver did screw that particular machine up. Sorry, get confused sometimes.
m
0
l
June 3, 2011 7:33:30 PM

swifty_morgan said:
Yes, right you are. Sorry to confuse anybody. This was in fact an XP-64bit machine and "that" driver did screw that particular machine up. Sorry, get confused sometimes.



Lol oh ok, yea XP 64-bit was the last time I saw it also. I really liked XP 64-bit too. Anyway, hopefully we can set Dave straight and get his buddy's machine going.
m
0
l
June 3, 2011 11:20:20 PM

Thanks guys, we'll try out what are suggesting. hoping to sort this out for my friend. I'll let you know.

Dave F.
m
0
l
!