Coolermaster storm sniper fans

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
ok i was wondering if this might help my temps at all. the case has a front and side intake and rear and top exhaust with optional bottom fan. im getting a fan for bottom but would it be stupid to have all fans be intake and just have the side be exhaust? im wondering because the whole side is mesh and any exess air can excape. im just trying to find solutions to my video card overheating. it seperates half my case and im sure impedes aireflow. thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Solution
Your current setup (side+front intake, rear+top exhaust) is good and if you want to add a bottom fan... I'm not sure if it has to be exhaust or intake (never had one myself), but don't touch the current config. Actually, I'd make the floor one intake. That way air comes from the bottom and front and exhausts from the rear and top. It's good.

What GPU, case and temperatures do you have?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Your current setup (side+front intake, rear+top exhaust) is good and if you want to add a bottom fan... I'm not sure if it has to be exhaust or intake (never had one myself), but don't touch the current config. Actually, I'd make the floor one intake. That way air comes from the bottom and front and exhausts from the rear and top. It's good.

What GPU, case and temperatures do you have?

Solution

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I have the same case the cooler master storm sniper, I put the bottom fan as an intake fan because heat rises which means that the colder air is down towards the bottom of the room. Another note is that i noticed that my side fan is making weird vibration noises and only stops if i push the side of the case in a little bit, then it continues when i release my hand.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Scratch my case request... didn't notice the Storm Sniper in the question.

@mightymaxio: That means your fan is slowly messing up and the bearings are wearing out... I have that on my old crappy 120mm Zebronics fan and will replace it with a CM one due to this issue. When you hit the case, what actually happens is the fan slides back on its axle and there's less bearing friction, so it works fine for a while.

@OP: Now I'm definitely sure bottom intake is a good idea.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
you know i will get that other fan as intake. it will help blow exhaust from gpu out side. case, see thread name, gpu is msi r6970 lightning, and case temps are 38 under load but gpu is hitting 75c. i was thinking of getting two cards but idk now. i think if that side fan was blowing out air my heat would excape and i could run xfire but im scared to waste that kind of money now

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I don't know what temps are safe for AMD, but for nVidia max temps are 100C, so my GTX 560 Ti's max 72C don't trouble me. I advise against Crossire: you have a great card and it should max out pretty much everything for now... so unless you have some games you're desperately trying to max out and it doesn't work, wait for a while. I know I won't be getting a second GTX 560 Ti for quite a while, since all the games I play are mostly console ports and I can't see a difference between Ultra and High detail, except for the drop in fps for Ultra (though even then, it's still smooth).

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

did the fan help at all or did you check temps

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Crysis 2: V-Sync off. Witcher 2 - I guess you WILL need more resources, it's just too consumptive.

shoot you

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Just saw the thread. I also have a Storm Sniper Black case have the stock fans for the front, side and top. Placed a 140 fan at the bottom for intake (this drops my temps by 2-5 Celcius for my GPU gtx 560ti) and changed the rear exhaust.

Current configuration:
Intake
Front 200mm
Side 200mm
Bottom 140mm (Enermax)
Front Top (placed a 120mm fan in 3 of my drive bays)

Exhaust
Top 200mm
Rear 120mm (YateLoon)

My CPU temps are from 40C on idle; 57C on load (Prime95 test)
GPU temps are from 35C on idle; 56C on load (Crysis 2 on "Extreme" settings)

I have aftermarket coolers though
Venomous X Black for CPU; Gelid Icy Vision for GPU

so before the upgrade I would get 50-70C on CPU and 42-88C on GPU (stock coolers)

I believe that some of the games being released will require high CPU usage this may mean that you may need a higher CPU. Its like my experience with Assassins Creed Brotherhood from 27-60FPS with a intel q8200 and gtx560ti and i have a friend that is running an i7 and HD5570 thats getting 27-35FPS.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

WTF? 56C on load for your GTX 560 Ti? And I thought my Twin Frozr II with its max 72C is good... this is one hell of a cooling system you have there.

shoot you

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Sorry for the late reply been busy with work and fixing up the rig :)
hahah thanks I was actually surprised with the temps I got. Im using MSI Afterburner temp monitor as my basis. hehehe from 88 to 56 is quite something plus its near silent.