Your question
Closed

I5 2500k hot in new build

Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2011 4:28:50 AM

i5 2500k
asus p8z68 mobo
8gb RAM 1600 MHz

I literally just built this machine today and on the initial boot up I got a warning for processor temp. It was around 80C. I almost didn't believe it, thinking a sensor might be the problem. Turn it off and come back a few hours later and same story, mid80s. Stock fan that may be running too slow but wondering if anyone has had similar problem or has an idea. No overclocking.

More about : 2500k hot build

August 29, 2011 5:06:24 AM

The stock fans on those are junk, I would invest in an aftermarket fan. Using a stock fan on a high end CPU like that is like buying a new car and not insuring it.
Score
August 29, 2011 5:19:22 AM

How exactly did you put the CPU fan on?
What's your casing?
Did you overclock already?
Did you wipe any grey stuff off the CPU fan? >.< please tell me no because that was Thermal paste, very important!
Score
Related resources

Best solution

August 29, 2011 6:13:36 AM

temps in the 80s means heatsink isn't on right or thermal paste isn't applied correctly. Even the poor stock heatsink wont perform that bad unless something went wrong during install. IMO re-seat the heatsink after cleaning off and re-applying thermal paste and check temps again. Though as mentioned after market cooling is far superior.
August 29, 2011 6:29:34 AM

I use a p8Z68 myself with a 2500K.

A few things that could help;

Are you over clocking or using the AI Suite?

In the UFEI Bios disable over-voltage if you are using auto volt, I have found it too push a very unhealthy voltage thorough the CPU (up to 1.56V @ 4.5GHz) which could cause alot of heat. or even break your parts.

Try updating the BIOS.

Score
August 29, 2011 6:32:09 AM

Ambis007 said:
i5 2500k
asus p8z68 mobo
8gb RAM 1600 MHz

I literally just built this machine today and on the initial boot up I got a warning for processor temp. It was around 80C. I almost didn't believe it, thinking a sensor might be the problem. Turn it off and come back a few hours later and same story, mid80s. Stock fan that may be running too slow but wondering if anyone has had similar problem or has an idea. No overclocking.

I had the same problem with my i5 2500k. was at 97 degress C. i read it can withstand 108 celsius. I fixed the problem... had too much grease on heat sink and the fan was on tight enough. Check those things. After that fix my CPU is at 50 C

Also I used Arctic Silver 5
Score
August 29, 2011 6:38:58 AM

NZXT silent mid case

I didn't wipe the thermal paste off. Last check, it started up fine, I installed some software and performed the restart. On the reboot, I got the same message with the same temperatures (I didn't think to write the fan speed down but I think it was pretty low). So I shut it down and opened her up to check the CPU fan. The stock fan currently in there is the pin, push-and-click sort. I pulled it off and it looks like only a portion of the paste, just less than half, was in contact with the CPU. I remounted it and am waiting for the next results. I'm hoping this is all.

Any other ideas, just in case? Thanks.
Score
August 29, 2011 10:00:59 AM

Make sure its getting enough air and that the fan connector is placed properly. If its still ain't working, get yourself a better cooler like a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ very cheap and effective, comes with its own thermal paste that YOU apply. I've never heard anyone saying anything bad about it.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2011 10:18:07 AM

Get a Hyper 212+. I've head a lot of problems with stock Core iX cooler and the temps would go up to 95C... scared the hell out of me, so I got the Hyper - drop to 65C on max load; then BIOS update - drop to 60C on max load and to 28C on idle (was like 38C).
Score
August 29, 2011 4:01:21 PM

Best answer selected by Ambis007.
Score
August 29, 2011 4:04:47 PM

Heat sink wasn't in proper contact. This was probably due to the poor click-in design of the stock sink/fan. I repositioned and my temps have dropped about 20C.

Will soon invest in aftermarket heatsink and fan. I'll check out the 212 per the multiple suggestions. I have a decent sized case so it should fit.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2011 4:33:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!