P5NSLI no POST

mpagel

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I have a Asus P5NSLI with E6600 Processor (core2duo) with 2x2GB DDR2(?) RAM (replacing the initial crappy RAM cyberpower installed) and a SLI&CUDA-compatible single video card (eVGA brand...can't remember the number? maybe 8600GT?).

This is the same system I previously had dust problems with and was, in fact having issues with dust and temperature again last weekend, albeit not as severely (80 C with CoreTemp, which was 2 degrees under the TJ Max) and was resulting in a reduction of the FSB multiplier from 9x to 6x as measured by CPUID. I cleaned off the fans and tried to clean off the processor heatsinc, but didn't have any thermal compound around, so I didn't want to break the chip assembly off the board. After cleaning, I was able to use the computer for about 4 days (operated for about 1-2 hrs each morning and 3-5 hours each evening and shut off in between) and temperatures registered about 20 degrees C lower. However, when I got home from work last night, I turned on the computer, looked at it an hour later and saw my monitor indicated it was on and receiving data (I think so at least), but no image was displayed and nothing happened when keys pressed, etc. After powering off my system and turning it back on, it didn't POST to BIOS, but all the fans turned on. I unplugged all components except mobo + processor, 1 stick of RAM (tried both in 2 black slots each), Video card (tried both DVI output ports, albeit not with separate boots each time), USB keyboard, all except 1 fan, and some of the case connectors (HDD indicator, USB, etc). In other words, I unplugged all 7 of my drives (2 optical, 1 floppy, 1 ZIP, 1? IDE HDD, 2 SATA HDD) both from data and power as well as one of my case fans. I also re-seated the videocard as well as the RAM chips (but didn't touch the processor). I think I have a 550W PS. I also removed the CMOS chip and shorted (via jumper) the CMOS memory for several minutes before replacing the CMOS battery.

This motherboard has a 4 pin internal speaker output (+5V, Gd, Gd, 'speaker'), but my case doesn't have a speaker, so I can't go off of beep codes to tell me what's wrong. I've been looking today to salvage a speaker from another computer, to no avail. Are the two-wire speakers in this thread compatible with a 4 pin motherboard connection? I've heard that sometimes 2s and 4s don't talk. I currently have at my disposal a multimeter - could I connect that to two of the pins to give me a "beep code" via a jumping needle? Would I put it in DC mode, somewhere in the 5-50V range, connect the red lead to the +5 and the black to the 'speaker' pin? Or one of the grounds+speaker? Do I need to ground the grounds somehow? If so, how? Could I somehow use the 2pin HDD indicator LED on these connections to give me a flash, rather than beep signal?

As I mentioned, my computer has been (mostly) functional for a few years, so I know I don't have problems with standoffs, improperly located power plugs, or bent processor pins. It had been working for a few days since the last dusting, but maybe I moved some dust to where it eventually did some damage? In any case, any advice as to how I can get a "beep code" ASAP (rather than waiting several days/weeks for shipping of a speaker) would be appreciated. I have a Radio Shack and a Best Buy in town.

Also...if I have to replace my motherboard and/or CPU chip as a result of this, will I have to reinstall my operating system (Windows XP SP3 32 bit + debian) or will it detect the new hardware and not complain? I also have a laptop (windows7 SP1 64 bit + ubuntu), so I might be willing to go away from the desktop...in which case, any advice on products to turn my internal HDDs into external drives for that laptop (1-2 IDEs and 2 SATAs)?

Thanks for your time.

Edit sorry for the BBcode URL fails...I don't know how they work on this forum...the first link is to
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282702-30-computer-shuts-high-temps-p5nsli
the second to
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

mpagel

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
A friend had one of those 2 pin speakers (two end pins connected to wires, grounds unconnected). No beep at all on startup. pulled my front chassis cables too (USB, speaker, front reset button) except for the main power. No beeps. I assume this means the board itself is toast?