Sign in with
Your question

Will plugging in a (Possibly) fried graphics card ruin a motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 17, 2012 5:39:28 PM

So I'm building a new rig with an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme and I'm going to run EVGA 680's for graphics. Unfortunately they are out of stock pretty much everywhere. (Unless you want to pay $100+ over list which I don't). So until I can get my hands on some I was going to run an old GTX 260 that I have laying around just so I can get everything up and running. Problem with that is that the last computer the 260 was in fried and I'm not entirely sure what hardware was ruined as a result (It belonged to a friend of mine and he just gave it to me cause he didn't want to mess with it, although he did say that the motherboard had a really bright red dot on it that was smoking and then everything turned off, so I figured it was a short in motherboard or something along those lines). My question is, if I put the 260 in and it is fried will it also fry everything else? or will nothing happen?

Also I have no way to test the card because all the other rigs I own and have access to are mid to high end and I can't risk burning them out.
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2012 5:47:45 PM

If it's fried then do not put it might possible your mobo'll get damage
m
l
May 17, 2012 6:12:30 PM

Is there anyway to test it without plugging it in a new mobo?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2012 8:04:50 PM

Simple way to check it at bad machine which gonna death soon or local store
m
l
!