Sign in with
Your question

CPUID showing weird result

Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2011 6:29:31 AM

Hello,
My PC keeps shutting off in the middle of playing games. The games dont slow down at all. I play WoW on ultra graphic settings... but it randomly witches off. check my cpu temp.. its strange as the cores all show different values.. whats going on?
LINK:
http://tinypic.com/r/sdpqpc/7
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2011 7:17:22 AM

often, a weak/old/marginal PSU might cause sudden shutoffs during gaming, which significantly increases power draw under load, etc...
m
l
August 29, 2011 10:44:21 AM

It is called Crashing. Your computer is under such a load that it just shuts down to avoid ruining itself. Try lowering the graphics quality. If that doesn't work, then you might need to need to upgrade your CPU/GPU/RAM. Better luck
m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2011 10:57:19 AM

It is very normal for the cores of your CPU to have a slight difference in temperatures.

Also are you running an over clocked CPU, maybe it isn't getting enough voltage.
m
l
August 29, 2011 12:49:47 PM

Thanks for your input guys . Although I don't think the problem is with my parts being old. I have a i5 2500k CPU with a gtx 570 and 800 watt PSU. All are new. The pc instantly switches off with no warning in lag or anything. Pc games run at ultra settings without signs of struggle. Im guessing the 120 degree C CPU is a culprit. But is that even possible? How do I check if my temp reader is working? If you look at the link u cab see a ridiculously high temp. My games don't even lag when it says it's that hot.
Another thing, my bios power settings on high power mode makes pc cut out upon windows load. Whereas bios on low power I can play games at high settings for about 20 mins before it cuts. That would mean it's my PSU? And maybe faulty temp reader?
m
l
August 29, 2011 12:54:49 PM

mdd1963 said:
often, a weak/old/marginal PSU might cause sudden shutoffs during gaming, which significantly increases power draw under load, etc...

Thanks that makes a lot of sense. Is there a way to check that the problem lies in the PSU?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2011 3:23:40 PM

I'm thinking it's a MoBo problem. Your CPUID shows a 124C temp on the CPU, well past the limit, but the cores show a more realistic range of temps. Is that a new MoBo? Id seriously consider returning it for a new one.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2011 3:50:46 PM

Quote:
Your CPUID shows a 124C temp on the CPU, well past the limit, but the cores show a more realistic range of temps

I think thats the issue too; the automatic shutdown is based on that 124C value, and not the individual core temps, so if thats busted...I'd definatly RMA the motherboard, just to be safe.
m
l
August 29, 2011 4:20:03 PM

You could also see if you can do a bios upgrade. Check online to see if you can flash your bios into a new one, but you have to make sure you know what your doing, if you get it wrong you will get a very very big paper weight... and it will be bricked completely.

So if you're not very experienced, then just RMA the mobo.

Or could it be that you havnt pluged everything in properly? Do another check on every single componnent of your pc.
m
l
August 29, 2011 6:42:10 PM

Thank you very much guys. Guess my mobo is gone. I'll see about replacing it. I think 124 degrees is way too high. Considering there's no burning smell at all the mobo probably is bust. May of broke it trying to wedge the heatsink in. It took me way too long.
m
l
September 5, 2011 4:43:07 AM

u sure 124C reading are correct? do you have mobo maker's monitoring software?
m
l
September 5, 2011 10:55:17 AM

CPUID measures the Sensor outputs, but various mbd makers will populate those outputs with different multipliers as there is no real standard to adhere to. You can try your mbd manufacturer to see if they have a monitoring app. You can also dump the register info and send it to the CPUID team to see if they can include your sensor info in the next release.
m
l
September 5, 2011 10:55:36 AM

CPUID measures the Sensor outputs, but various mbd makers will populate those outputs with different multipliers as there is no real standard to adhere to. You can try your mbd manufacturer to see if they have a monitoring app. You can also dump the register info and send it to the CPUID team to see if they can include your sensor info in the next release.
m
l
!