Sign in with
Your question

Comcast Nightmare...someone wake me up!

Last response: in Networking
August 26, 2010 2:05:48 AM

Alright, I have a serious problem with my internet connection and it's been happening for the past 3-4 weeks. My connection will drop anywhere between 5-10 times a minute for 2-10 seconds. I go from a 55 ping to 999 during that time. The lights on the modem do not change and it appears that I am still connected to the internet although I get no activity. This happens around 2000 times a day and it is driving me insane. I can't play online games, can't use Skype, or watch Hulu since it will freeze/drop me every few seconds.

I did a trace route and the problem is occurring at the 2nd hop, the one after my router but the IP does not match my modem (however it is very close). I have tried everything I can think of. Power cycled the modem, removed the router, turned off my firewalls, etc etc. The problem occurs on all 3 of my machines so it is definitely a network/internet problem.

I called Comcast and they sent out a tech who looked at my modem and the lines in my house and he said he was getting errors on his equipment but could not fix it. They are sending out a line tech tomorrow or Friday to take a look at it but I don't have much faith in them due to past experiences.

Situations like these usually resolve themselves over time but it's been almost a month now and I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

Thank you,

Kevin

More about : comcast nightmare wake

Anonymous
August 26, 2010 3:26:42 AM

These probably won't help but they'll give you something to do while Comcast sort out your line.

Try turning off UPnP in the router.
See if adjusting MTU makes any difference.
m
l
August 26, 2010 3:43:52 AM

Thank you I'll try that in a bit.

Modem levels:

Downstream
Freq/Power: 645.000 MHz -2 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 36 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 36.600 MHz 46 dBmV
Channel Type: DOCSIS 2.0 (ATDMA)
Symbol Rate: 5120 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM16

Status
System Uptime: 1 days 6h:36m:49s
Computers Detected: 1
CM Status: Telephony-AC Power Iso OFF Reg Complete
Time and Date: WED AUG 25 22:41:13 2010

Interface Parameters
Interface Name Provisioned State Speed MAC address
LAN Enabled UP 100 (Full) 00-15-A4-26-76-3C
CABLE Enabled UP ---- 00-15-A4-26-76-3D
USB Enabled DOWN 12 00-15-A4-26-76-3F
MTA Enabled UP ---- 00-15-A4-26-76-3E
m
l
Related resources
August 26, 2010 3:45:12 AM

Also, like I said even if I bypass the router the problem persists.
m
l
Anonymous
August 26, 2010 3:54:24 AM

Yes I kinda wondered if you'd tried connecting direct. Can only be the computer or the line and my money's on the line.
m
l
August 26, 2010 4:19:25 AM

Yeah I'm sure it's the line I've tried 3 different PC's and all the same. If it is the line is there anything I can do or am I in the hands of Comcast (oh god)?
m
l
Anonymous
August 26, 2010 4:24:52 AM

Cable presumably? I don't think there's anything you can do to improve the feed, assuming all the cabling inside the house is okay and the modem was tested by the engineer who visited. There's probably a service box somewhere on the street near you -- here in London they get vandalised sometimes but I doubt if they're affected by water as much as DSL is.
m
l
August 26, 2010 4:40:42 AM

Yeah I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Yeah it is cable.

This is what the problem looks like on a ping graph. Time lapse is around 5 times.

m
l
!