Sign in with
Your question

HTPC / Server Combo

Last response: in Systems
June 3, 2011 6:07:28 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: next week

Budget Range: $500-800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: MythTV and Automated backups for all PCs in my house.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: ratings based

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: N/A

Additional Comments:

been thinking about building a NAS box for a while but could never get what i need/want at the right price point. i've since decided to combine an HTPC and file server to try to get better value out of the parts.

things i need/want for each purpose (all open to suggestion)

HTPC:
- Mythbuntu (Myth TV built into Ubuntu and optimized)
- IR blaster to work with set top cable box
- ~2TB storage for recordings
- network streaming
- no DVD/blu-ray right now, but ability to upgrade

Server: - primary use for backing up all computers in my house, but will also possibly store other files for sharing
- ~1TB storage
- RAID 1 (software is ok?)
- Linux
- power saving options with some form of remote wake up
- automated backup for Windows XP and Windows 7 computers

General:
- low power consumption
- respectable performance for its obvious purposes plus possibly hulu/youtube (netflix if it will work) and light web browsing
- noise and size are not really concerns

so here are the parts i've picked out: newegg wish list just add RS232 ir blaster

some answers to questions i'd anticipate:
- the TV tuner is a bit old, but since i have to use a set top box i didn't necessarily see the value in getting a better card
- the mobo has a 10-pin header for 9-pin serial
- anand gave a great review to the AMD E-350 for an HTPC relative to any atom chip
- everything i've read about RAID is that you need drives with a means of limiting the time the drive spends trying to make a repair or risk the drive being dropped from the array(TLER for WD)
- the PSU is overpowered but has good reviews and will hopefully last longer

of the rough total $700, i'm basically looking at this like about $300 for the HTPC and about $400 for the file server since the two functions should never really compete.

can anyone make any recommendations to make anything better/cheaper without making important sacrifices? or ask any questions about things i may not have thought of yet? many thanks in advance

More about : htpc server combo

June 3, 2011 7:02:54 PM

Just a quick drive-by comment:

Up the RAM to a 1333MHz version. I have the ITX version of your board and it takes 1333MHz RAM just fine, despite what newegg says in the product details.
m
l
June 6, 2011 3:37:41 AM

the manufacturer website confirms the same memory spec as newegg. do you mean that it is capable of using the 1333MHz but at 1066MHz or that it is actually capable of running 1333MHz memory at full specs?
m
l
June 6, 2011 12:54:10 PM

The UEFI BIOS has 800, 1066, and 1333 RAM speed selectable. It definitely can run 1333 memory at full specs.

Here's a picture I took of my own UEFI on my Asus Zacate board:

The picture was meant for someone asking about where to set RAM voltage, so ignore the red box. You can see above it that my memory frequency is set at 1333 speed. Both Asus and newegg say 800/1066 is supported. I don't know why they leave out 1333.
m
l
!