Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which card is best for an upgrade.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 23, 2011 1:45:05 PM

Well i am looking to upgrade from a 3870x2 to a GTX 560 TI

This is what i found.

http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=623122&cks=ASS&ass...

http://www.pixmania.se/se/se/8932339/art/gainward/gefor...

http://www.webhallen.com/hardvara/127993-msi_geforce_gt...

http://www.proshop.se/Grafikkort/GIGABYTE-GV-N560SO-1GI...

http://www.proshop.se/Grafikkort/ZOTAC-GeForce-GTX-560-...(1-GB)-2244240.html&ref=pricerunnerse



The rest of my spec is this:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: Corsair dominator 4096MB RAM
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Deluxe

Will my CPU also bottleneck the GPU ?

Will i see an improvement on a full HD resolution ?

More about : card upgrade

a c 620 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2011 10:55:57 PM

This one is easy. Get the Gigabyte SuperOverclock. It's fast, quiet, and will run circles around a 6950. It has the highest factory overclock out of the cards you listed, so out of the box it will be the fastest of the options.
m
0
l
March 23, 2011 11:58:25 PM

Quote:
Get a 6950 2gb version. You got a wonderful cpu that can OC easily to 4ghz. Its awesome running single threaded or not too heavily threaded programs. But with bad ports like GTA IV you need a quad


My monitor is not for 3d or 120mhz i think its 60mhz but i am not sure, and i have checked some reviews as the other commenter said the 560ti gigabyte soc has proved to be better then any 6950.

And i thought that nvidia might be a nice eye candy for a change or dont you agree ?
m
0
l
Related resources
March 23, 2011 11:59:07 PM

17seconds said:
This one is easy. Get the Gigabyte SuperOverclock. It's fast, quiet, and will run circles around a 6950. It has the highest factory overclock out of the cards you listed, so out of the box it will be the fastest of the options.


Thank you i thought of the same but wondered what others have to say about it.
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 1:28:04 PM

Quote:
Get a 6950 2gb version. You got a wonderful cpu that can OC easily to 4ghz. Its awesome running single threaded or not too heavily threaded programs. But with bad ports like GTA IV you need a quad


Do you think i will see an improvement ? from upgrading from a 3870x2 ? or is it better to wait till i start stuttering and such?
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 9:06:03 PM

Quote:
you mention at HD resolution? That's 1080p. Yes you will see a improvement and you'll be able to max out everything. What does the 6950 have over the 560

Vram- can run at higher resolutions better thanks to its bigger vram.
6950/6970 conversion. You can flash it to the 6970 which will give you just a tat under a 6970 with its memory speed. So its a great deal if you consider what the 6970 costs. You get that for the price of the 6950. Just make sure you get the 2gb version.


Thank you very much :) 
m
0
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2011 9:52:22 PM

Quote:
you mention at HD resolution? That's 1080p. Yes you will see a improvement and you'll be able to max out everything. What does the 6950 have over the 560

Vram- can run at higher resolutions better thanks to its bigger vram.
6950/6970 conversion. You can flash it to the 6970 which will give you just a tat under a 6970 with its memory speed. So its a great deal if you consider what the 6970 costs. You get that for the price of the 6950. Just make sure you get the 2gb version.

1080 resolution is a mid-range resolution, and 2GB of memory will have no advantage over 1GB at that resolution.

Why go to all the trouble to buy a more expensive card, then have to flash the BIOS, when a factory overclocked GTX 560, like the Gigabyte SOC will beat both the 6950, 6970, and 6950 flashed to a 6970. And it will do it cooler, quieter, and as a bonus, you get PhysX thrown in for good measure, just in case.
m
0
l

Best solution

March 25, 2011 10:28:21 AM

if you are going for single card configuration forever you can choose GTX 560 Ti SOC...
if you go for multi-gpu in the future then hd 6950 2gb is the way to go. because..

In single gpu

Pros
- gtx 560 soc is faster than hd 6950 at full hd resolution
- and is little cheaper than hd 6950

Cons
- i saw from other forums that 560 soc owners complaint that there are few issues
with the card

in multi-gpu config
Pros
- hd 6950 cfx is far superior to that of gtx 560 ti
- uses far less power than the competition

Cons
- prepare to spend a lot of money even not as much when buying a hd 6990
Share
April 6, 2011 7:29:50 PM

Best answer selected by serenatous.
m
0
l
!