Sign in with
Your question

Marathon Build Graphics...picked for gaming?? Graphics for non-gamer?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2011 2:09:13 PM

Question:

I'm planning on building a new system in the next month or so and can't decide on a graphics card.

I've looked at all the past and present System Builder Marathon articles. All of them include what I would consider to be a very nice graphics card. Are these builds designed as gaming systems? What if I'm not a gamer??

I'm planning on spending around $1,200 to $1,400 on a new system. The last system I built was around $1,200 and that was five years ago. I do a fair amount of photo editing and I plan to do some HD video work (nothing professional). Do I need a 6950 ($$$$) or would a 5770 ($$) work? Do I even need that...should I just go with a 5570 ($)?

As far as other components go, I'm thinking i7-2600K, SSD boot drive, 2TB storage (Raid 1), MSI P67A-GD65 board, 8-16GB Ram, Blu Ray drive, Win7, two 22" monitors and PSU depending on GC.

I was thinking a 5570 for around $65 would work for me but after reading all of the marathon builds I'm confused and wondering if I should be getting something much nicer.

Thoughts?

Any good links to help me choose a GC for a non-gamer?
a c 235 U Graphics card
March 23, 2011 2:16:43 PM

an ATI 5550 or 5570 will meet all your non-gaming needs.
m
l
!