sumlit

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
This will be my second build. First one was aproximately 2 years ago. Still I'm very noobish at this, but i just cannot make myself buy from internet building sites after i just spent the whole day reading very poor reviews. So with this in mind, i need a simple build that will be both stable and powerful.

Approximate Purchase Date: Soon as i make my mind about the parts.

Budget Range: $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences:by brand or type: My only 2 preferences are the Intel i5 2500k and the Coolermaster Haf 922 case

Overclocking: Maybe, not a priority though.

SLI or Crossfire: Not right now. Maybe as upgrade later.

Additional Comments: I guess it would be impossible to get a build that would give me zero problems, but thats why i come here. I need advise on the most stable parts that will have the greatest chance of giving me a few years of relative problem free usage. Also, feel free to tell me why my case and cpu choices are not the best.

OK so tinkering around, I've made some selections that perhaps make it easier for people to help me.

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel

Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3)

PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W

Video Card: MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6950 2GB

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2x2gb)

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

Now with the OS and drive, it takes me just over $1100, which is a little over my budget, but i think i can handle it.

What could i change to possibly drive the price down without sacrificing much performance?

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
If you intend to Xfire in the future you may want to go to an 850W PSU. I'd have concern that two 6950s might tax the PSU, but as you are going with the Corsair HX this may be a non issue. Otherwise this is a very good planned rig.

One other comment, the aftermarket CPU cooler is good, but not great. A better CPU cooler will cost more but give you better room to OC your CPU.