Danklin

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I have an i5-760 being cooled by a CM Hyper 212+ with AC silver 5 and my temps at idle are anywhere from 38 to 49 degrees depending one what temp i look at. The bios seems to be showing the highest temp and ive read that isnt always accurate. I'm pretty sure the cooler is on as good as it can be with the right amoumt of paste. Any ideas on whats causing it to run so hot? I tried stress testing it with Prime95 and it shot up in the 70's almost immediately.

Also, if i try to overclock it to 4GHz windows seems very slow to start, specially on the windows splash screen. My system also wants to restart before posting if ran at 200 bclk with a 20 multiplier. Using 19 solves those problems but still runs hot...or so it seems to me.

Sorry if these are dumb questions. only my second build.

Also i tried to put my system build into my signature but it doesnt show apparently. sorry. my mobo is an EVGA SLI (not FTW)

Solution
I have the exact same setup (except I used the stock thermal paste with the 212+) and my idle temps are probably low 20's and max load being max 50c.

Are you confident that you applied the thermal paste properly and the heatsink is secure in place? Quite often the heatsink being secured is the problem that most people have with the high temps.

What case are you using? Just wondering if there is adequate airflow. As well if you have a very high ambient temp it could be creating a problem.

As well, how long has your PC been running since you applied the thermal paste and installed the aftermarket heatsink. Sometimes thermal compound can take a bit of time to cure in order to achieve the greatest contact between your CPU and the...

tharagon

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Is it running at ~40 degrees overclocked or at stock?
If you overclocked it because of lag in games - I would suggest you get a better GPU, and downclock your CPU to the stock settings :)

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I have the exact same setup (except I used the stock thermal paste with the 212+) and my idle temps are probably low 20's and max load being max 50c.

Are you confident that you applied the thermal paste properly and the heatsink is secure in place? Quite often the heatsink being secured is the problem that most people have with the high temps.

What case are you using? Just wondering if there is adequate airflow. As well if you have a very high ambient temp it could be creating a problem.

As well, how long has your PC been running since you applied the thermal paste and installed the aftermarket heatsink. Sometimes thermal compound can take a bit of time to cure in order to achieve the greatest contact between your CPU and the heatsink itself. Check out this article below for information in curing time. While it will not have a DRASTIC impact in your temperatures, it still will make a difference. If your computer has only been running for a few hours, I would suggest to just leave it on for 6 hours or overnight if the timing works out and check it again after. I have been surprised to see sometimes as much as a 10c idle drop.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...k=view&id=150&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=12

Solution

I agree. I would take the heat sink off the cpu and re-seat it. Gently go corner to corner tightening the screws.

Danklin

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Well the cooler not being secure may very well be the problem, since when i installed it, i was a little leery of tightening down the screws tight into the standoffs for the cooler. I was afraid i'd crush the cpu case. Maybe i'll try to reseat it this weekend and see if anything changes.

My case is a CM 690II advanced.

Tharagon thanks for the suggestion but i know people that have this cpu and have much lower temps at idle. Realtemp is showing 39c with a 200 blck and 20x. at 1.9% load. Not good. I've seen other people get <30C

Danklin

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
My mistake Tharagon,i just noticed you said GPU not CPU. Well i have an ATI HD 5670 which was rated failry good on TW. "Best reference card that doesnt need a PSU connection" No real lag in games. i just OC'ed my pc to get ram up to speed and for it to run generally faster.

TRENDING THREADS