Windows 7 Upgrade Question

twelvesaints

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build my new system and run Windows 7 64-bit HP with it. I can get the OEM version for around $100, but I'm not sure if I want to be confined to this single pc forever without calling and begging Microsoft to reauthorize. The computer I'm replacing now will pretty much be scrapped when I'm done building my new one. I upgraded its OS from Windows 98 to Windows XP (yes, a long, long time ago) with a Windows XP Upgrade Version purchased from Best Buy. My question is: Is my Windows XP Upgrade Version able to be used to upgrade again to Windows 7 with the Windows 7 Upgrade Version? Thanks in advance.

method320

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Well, first off. the OEM can be activated by up to 3 times (As far as I am aware) so if you purchased the oem version you can't use it on 3 different machines by restriction of the licensing, but, I haven't met a single person that follows a stupid rule that microsoft can't even know if you follow it or not.

Using an xp upgrade disc, then using a 7 upgrade disc is a ass-backwards way of doing it, but I'm sure it could be done. I don't recommend it and you may come across issues later. I'd bite the bullet and get a full copy of an updated operating system

isamuelson

Distinguished
I know with Vista and XP, I never had a problem when I had to call them to re-authorize my OEM copies. They just asked why I needed to get a new authorization key and I just stated that my motherboard went out and I had to get a new one. The rep said "okay" and that was it.

With Windows 7, I took advantage of the 1/2-price upgrade deal, so I don't have to deal with the OEM "hassles" which really aren't all that bad.

twelvesaints

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Sorry, I wasn't exactly clear. I'm going to be doing a fresh install regardless, I just meant that it's cheaper to buy the Windows 7 Upgrade Home Premium Full Retail version and using my existing Windows XP Upgrade Version product key. The reason I was asking about doing it that way was because I didn't want to go through the hassle with Microsoft if I ever have to replace a board or anything. I thought it was only one install though, and somebody mentioned it can be used 3 times (not simultaneously, I'm assuming). Is that true? If so, then I'll just buy the OEM version.

1) Do you qualify for an academic license?
If so, you can get windows-7 at a discounted price.
2) Look for an upgrade version of home premium instead of OEM.
Upgrade is a retail version which gives you support from microsoft, unlike OEM(AKA system builder),
and allows a more hassel-free ability to transfer the os to a different pc(motherboard).
You get both 32 bit and 64 bit DVD's.

There is a legitimate two step instalation process to install an upgrade version
You install windows-7 from the cd, but do not initially enter the product code or activate.
After it installs, you have a fully functional OS for 30 days.
Step 2 is to insert the dvd again, while running Windows and then do an upgrade.
This time, enter your product code, and activate.
After activation. you may delete the initial version which is named windows.old.

If you get a retail or upgrade version, you will still be able to upgrade to ultimate later.