Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth upgrading a P2 400 MHz CPU with 100MHz FSB PC?

Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2011 2:20:50 PM

Is it worth upgrading a P2, 400 MHz CPU with 100MHz FSB PC?

Also It will not boot. I have upgraded the memory and video cards to their limit. Processor is soldered to the board.

More about : worth upgrading 400 mhz cpu 100mhz fsb

August 29, 2011 2:51:21 PM

why are you trying to upgrade this? did grandpa give it to you and you are nostalgic?
what are you trying to upgrade ? if the cpu is soldered to the mobo, you cant really upgrade it can you?

i dont even think you can by cpu's that slow anymore, so anything you'd buy new will be much faster... not to mention it doesnt have any PCI-E slots, id be surprised if it even had an AGP slot.. the ram wont be DDR3 or even DDR2.

i still dont really understand the original question though. i almost feel its one of those "test questions" like when your girlfriend asks if you think that other girl is pretty.
m
l
August 29, 2011 2:56:18 PM

I can sell you my old IBM PC @4.77mhz with 512KB! ram for 1.000 euro. If your cheap P2 400 isnt working...
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2011 3:46:05 PM

whoa throw it in the recycle bin.
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2011 8:19:08 PM

Is it worth it to upgrade? The answer to that come down is there some reason that you have to have that old system? Is running something that a newer couldn’t connect to or something along those lines? If so then go ahead and upgrade; if not then it is most likely the time for a new system.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2011 8:43:39 PM

cdoll said:
Is it worth upgrading a P2, 400 MHz CPU with 100MHz FSB PC?

Also It will not boot. I have upgraded the memory and video cards to their limit. Processor is soldered to the board.

Yes, it is worth upgrading to a whole new pc...
m
l
August 29, 2011 8:53:08 PM

I agree with the Intel Enthusiast; I would be interested to know if you have some proprietary software running on there or something which is forcing you to keep the PC.

Otherwise, that PC is not worth upgrading at this point. Any upgrades you can make (if parts are even available) will not make your PC any more capable at running modern software, simply because your PC will not accept any modern hardware. Even if it could take some modern hardware, the remaining old components would bottleneck the entire system, rendering the upgrade ineffective anyway.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 12:40:07 AM

pay for shipping and you can have my abit bp6 motherboard with dual 433mhz cpu's. LoL
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 1:26:26 AM

What manufacturers soldered desktop CPUs to the motherboard?

Were not all P2's in SLot 1 /'cartridge' format? P3's were available in both Slot 1 and socket 370 with the advent of the Coppermine core ...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 1:27:29 AM

But to answer the question....no, there is not a component in it worth salvaging/keeping/ pondering changing....
m
l
August 30, 2011 1:31:48 AM

It still might have some uses, are there any doors in your house you need propped open?
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 2:17:31 AM

mdd1963 said:
What manufacturers soldered desktop CPUs to the motherboard?

Were not all P2's in SLot 1 /'cartridge' format? P3's were available in both Slot 1 and socket 370 with the advent of the Coppermine core ...

Some System builders often user laptop motherbds and processors in their cases. Some soldered the chip to the bd to avoid the expense of a socket.

Otherwise you are correct.
m
l
a c 91 à CPUs
a c 174 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 2:24:49 AM

beetlejuicegr said:
I can sell you my old IBM PC @4.77mhz with 512KB! ram for 1.000 euro. If your cheap P2 400 isnt working...

your old IBM would be worth more than that dude, dont get rid of it, its an antique!
But seriously, go to the back of any computer shop, they often throw away much better stuff than that in working condition, we do all the time at work, Pentium 4's all over the place, full working systems.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 2:38:23 AM

Ya' might be able to save the power cord, if it's not hardwired like the CPU!
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2011 2:57:36 AM

Well if you want I can send you my computer. It's powered by a potato but it does kinda of outperform it.

No I lie.
m
l
!