I5 - 2400 (sandy bridge) - high BIOS temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckY07

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I just finished installing my i5 - 2400 + BIOSTAR M67 MU3 m/b. I've installed PC's before but never worked with the sandy bridge CPU's. After applying some Artic Silver 5 to the 'stock Intel heatsink' I went the BIOS and checked the CPU temp and it was high for a BIOS reading.

When I boot into the BIOS the CPU temp starts off around 45C and then rises to about 52-53C. Is this normal in the BIOS? (I've read that the sandy bridge BIOS temps are high).

I've reseated the heatsink 3 different times (only a 2-3C change), cleaning off the heatsink/CPU with Artic Clean 1 & 2 each time, then applying a dab of AS5 to the center of the CPU. I'm confident I've done everything correctly but I just want to make sure this is normal. I haven't installed any OS yet.

Solution
D
In bios the cpu temp is always higher because it doesnt down clock in bios, I really wouldnt worrie about it
D

Deleted member 362816

In bios the cpu temp is always higher because it doesnt down clock in bios, I really wouldnt worrie about it

Solution

LuckY07

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Thanks, I should also state that I'm powering the graphics using the sandy bridge CPU so I believe that's why my BIOS CPU temps are high.

I read that in the BIOS there is no power saving feature turned on and that's why the temps are higher in the BIOS than in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.