Athlon 2 x2 250: is Windows xp able to recognize both cores?

brmatrix

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
You should check your bios settings again, and make sure none of them are actually disabling the other core. What mobo model do you have?

If you have a CPU Feature menu on your bios I would start by checking that first, if you don't have such menu look for the one where you would find other options such as C1E Function, and EIST... In one of my mobos it is called Core Multi-Processing (Enable), on my other one it is called Multi Core (Enable)... See if you have anything like that on yours... Also both my systems are intel, so hopefully the names are some what the same.

brianwhite

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Mobo is a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H

thanks for all the replies.

I will check on the task manager view (sorry, my overall pc and h/w skills have waned since kids and i don't game anymore...)

I did look for a multi-core setting in the bios, but nothing stuck out...i'll rtfm.

brmatrix

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

See if this will work... It is mostly used to unlock the x2 550 'disabled core' with your motherboard model, but it might help you find that missing core of yours ;)
Hope it helps!

1. DISABLE "AMD COOL & QUIET" setting under Advanced CMOS setup. This is always enabled by default in every BIOS of all Gigabyte motherboards I owned

2. Set EC Firmware Selection to "Hybrid", Advanced Clock Calibration to "Auto". This has an equivalent feature in ASUS motherboards, and this is the key to the extra cores.

brianwhite

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

Gave this a shot, but 2 cores still don't show up in Task Mngr... I'll google around some more

thanks again for the replies

brianwhite

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

Marry me!

seriously, i think you got it. i never even thought of that one...

I'll re-install.

Thanks!